About Virginia International University
VIU is a non-profit university committed to setting a new standard in higher education. Through our student-centered approach, we endeavor to provide the most positive environment for learning available anywhere. Our programs are structured to allow students great flexibility in the design and direction of their own studies. At the same time, every student is assigned a personal mentor who acts as a guide in course selection and career orientation. VIU offers tuition scholarships to high potential students, because we believe that good education should be available to everyone, including those who do not have the necessary funds to pursue higher education.
To keep pace with the latest developments in technology and teaching, our curriculum and materials are regularly reviewed and revised, and our instructors receive further training, as necessary. As students near completion of their programs, VIU career counselors help place them in internships and other work-study positions with local companies and organizations.
Benchmarks in the History of VIU
Since its founding in 1998, Virginia International University has made significant progress in the complex process of establishing a new university. Below are some of the milestones of our institutional history:
- The concept for Virginia International University was developed by Dr. Isa
- Sarac who after exploring several locations in the United States, established
- VIU in Fairfax, Virginia in August 1998.
- The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) authorized VIU
- to begin the Master of Business Administrations Program December 23, 1998.
- SCHEV granted authority to offer a series of Diploma and Certificate
- programs on August 9, 1999.
- On May 25, 2000 SCHEV gave VIU degree-granting authority for the MBA
- program and later that year granted permission to begin a baccalaureate
- program in Computer Science and Business Management.
- The Master of Science in Information Systems began on April 24, 2003.
- Virginia International University held its first commencement on May 4, 2006
- with 20 graduates in attendance at the Fairfax County Country Club.
- The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS), a
- national accrediting agency granted accreditation to Virginia International
- University in the spring of 2008 (April 15).
- The Virginia General Assembly House Joint Resolution Committee presented the university with a letter “Commending Virginia International University on the occasion of its accreditation and 10th anniversary” on April 23, 2008.
Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
VIU Learning Objectives
Upon graduation from Virginia International University, students will be able to:
- Think critically and creatively
- Communicate effectively in speech and writing
- Demonstrate expertise through scholarly discipline and understand that discipline in relation to the larger world
- Work productively as individuals and in groups
- Use their knowledge and skills to make a positive contribution to society
- Use reason to make decisions based on an understanding of ethics, a respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues related to sustainability
- Engage in lifelong learning
- Exhibit professional integrity, leadership, and effective collaboration skills
As a community of students, staff, and faculty drawn from diverse national, cultural, and social backgrounds, VIU aims to improve the environment in which freedom of thought and diverse interpretations of human experiences are cherished. It is our hope and expectation that each member of the university will develop a greater awareness of, and responsiveness to, fellow members as well as to those beyond our campus who are less privileged. In the fulfillment of this mission, the university shall seek an efficient use of all available resources to ensure the highest quality of service to its students, faculty, and staff. The ultimate goal of VIU is no less than to graduate scholars of moral, intellectual, and professional excellence who will not only make a better life for themselves and their families, but who will lead the way to a better world for everyone.
In order to further the mission and philosophy of the university, VIU is committed to the following objectives:
- To recruit and retain outstanding and diverse faculty and staff to support teaching, research, and the service mission of the university
- To elevate the university’s learning environment in order to attract and retain excellent students from all over the world as well as from the US
- To offer learning experiences beyond the classroom that enhance traditional instruction and prepare students for the global workforce
- To offer an up-to-date curriculum that is relevant, ensuring each student has the following competencies: to think critically, to reason analytically, to solve problems realistically, and to communicate clearly
- To endeavor to provide successful employment placement options for students
This school offers programs in: