Welcome to the College of Science at San José State University!
This is a place where all kinds of students of science, including research professionals, teachers at all levels, and university undergraduates and graduates come together to discover and innovate.
chuttersnap / Unsplash
Department of Biological Sciences Mission
As leaders in the education of a highly trained and diverse scientific workforce, our mission is to provide a dynamic educational experience by engaging students in hands-on, inquiry-based learning activities at the bench and in the field. Through these experiences, our students will gain a conceptual and experiential understanding of the biological sciences spanning from molecules to ecosystems
Our Program Goals
- Serve the diverse student population of our region.
- Educate students to be intellectually agile and technologically proficient.
- Provide students with intensive, rigorous laboratory and field experiences within the context of their regular coursework.
- Create individualized mentoring opportunities and state-of-the-art learning experiences within the context of our faculty research programs.
- Foster creativity, a sound theoretical foundation, and the ability to communicate effectively and interact cooperatively.
- Make substantial contributions to the scientific community through our research efforts and that of our students.
95192 San Jose, California, USA