As a university rooted in the Lutheran tradition, Concordia-Chicago is one of the most affordable Christian liberal arts-based universities in the Midwest. We prepare our students academically, intellectually, practically and ethically for a meaningful career and life.
Concordia University Chicago was founded in 1864 as a college for teachers and today is a comprehensive university comprising the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Education, College of Graduate Studies and College of Innovation and Professional Programs. CUC offers graduate and undergraduate programs, as well as doctoral degrees. The University is affiliated with The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and is a member of the Concordia University System, a nationwide network of colleges and universities.
An institution of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, Concordia-Chicago is a private, liberal arts-based university that incorporates Christian values and is grounded in the Lutheran tradition. Our location on a 40-acre suburban campus in upscale River Forest is only 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. This provides opportunities to gain practical experience that supplement classroom learning. The resources of Chicago enrich all areas of our students’ experiences, making real-world connections possible.
- Recognized as a national College of Distinction for engaging students, great teaching, vibrant community and successful outcomes
- Named for the fourth time to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for volunteering and civic engagement
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
As a distinctive, comprehensive university of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, centered in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and based in the liberal arts, Concordia University Chicago equips men and women to serve and lead with integrity, creativity, competence and compassion in a diverse, interconnected and increasingly urbanized church and world.
Rooted in its Christian heritage of engaging knowledge and faith, Concordia University Chicago aspires to be the destination university for all who seek to develop their full individual potential through a distinctive, innovative and dynamic environment of exploration, creativity and discovery for leading lives of servant-minded leadership.
As a Christian university of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, we, at Concordia University Chicago, value:
- Christian Faith
- The Christian faith is an integral part of our community.
- The Individual
- As a member of God’s creation, each person is unique and is blessed with inherent worth.
- We strive for excellence in who we are and what we do.
- Our community demonstrates the accord between our beliefs and practices.
- Recognizing and addressing the needs of others is a response to God’s love for us, and a reflection of God’s love for them.
Based in the liberal arts, Concordia University Chicago provides Christian education in the Lutheran tradition. Whether enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs, Concordia University Chicago students are part of a learning community where:
- Professors are passionate about their teaching and student success
- Programs are offered in relevant fields to meet the emerging needs of society
- Students are individually challenged
- Real-world experiences and meaningful internships are plentiful for undergraduates and graduate students
- Christian values are put into practice
- Students of various faiths are welcomed to a caring, Christian educational environment
Chicago and Beyond
Our location--minutes away from one of the nation's most vibrant cities--gives our students access to a diverse array of opportunities. Concordia-Chicago's reach extends beyond our campus in River Forest, IL. Our students broaden their studies through partnerships across the U.S. and overseas. And with our growing online programs, it's possible to earn a CUC degree from just about anywhere.