The University of Dundee is one of the world's top 200 universities according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018.
We also hold a Gold award - the highest possible rating - in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework, which was introduced by the UK Government to recognise and reward excellent learning and teaching.
Our compact city campus has an ideal location in the heart of Dundee, and with a low cost of living, beautiful scenery and fantastic scholarship opportunities, it's perfect for your new student life.
Find out more about us through these pages or come and visit us to experience Dundee for yourself.
Facts and figures
- Dundee became an independent University in 1967 following a 70-year relationship with the University of St Andrews
- The University's origins date back to 1881 when University College, Dundee was founded
- The University is home to more than 17,000 students and more than 3000 staff, helping to make Dundee Scotland’s most student-friendly city
- 25% of the students we are engaged with are from outside the UK
- Dundee is one of the highest ranked UK universities in the International Student Barometer, the annual measure of student satisfaction
- The University has been consistently rated best in Scotland in the annual Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey
- The University is a founding partner of the V&A at Dundee project, which aims to develop a new centre of 21st-century design for Scotland at the heart of Dundee's waterfront
A world top 200 university
We are one of the World’s Top 200 universities (Times Higher Education 2018) and one of only 12 in the United Kingdom to also hold a Gold Award in the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017.
We are one of the UK’s top-rated universities for student experience and graduate employment, making Dundee one of the best places to study in the United Kingdom.
In the main UK league tables we have recorded an average rise of 20 places over the past three years and are in the top 30 for each of them – The Sunday Times Good University Guide, The Guardian University Guide and The Complete University Guide.
We are also ranked among Europe’s most innovative universities, coming out top in the UK in the Nature Innovation Index 2017 and in the top five among Reuters’ `Most Innovative Universities’ behind only Cambridge, Imperial, Oxford and Manchester.
Student life in Dundee
Our compact city campus has an ideal location in the heart of Dundee, only a five-minute stroll from the city's best shops, bars, arts and leisure venues, yet it remains quiet and relaxed and provides for all aspects of student life.
Dundee is a dynamic and multicultural city, with a real buzz about it. It's recently been described as "Britain’s coolest little city" (GQ Magazine) and we're excited about the many changes and developments currently taking place.
Dundee is Scotland's fourth largest city and has a population of about 150,000. The people of Dundee are famously friendly and open, and the relatively small size and close-knit community make the city both affordable to live in and a safe place to be.
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom