The School of Engineering and Digital Arts has an excellent reputation for both its teaching and research. Based in the Jennison Building on the Canterbury Campus, the School has 31 academic staff members, with both academic and industrial experience, as well as a number of specialist visiting lecturers. With strong industrial links, much of our research is supported by commercial organisations; there is also a range of industrially sponsored prizes for best students in each of our years. We are a forward-looking School and our courses are regularly reviewed to ensure that they are always up-to-date.
The School has a Mission and Plan which underpin our work as we seek to enhance and improve our learning, teaching, research and enterprise environment.
Mission and plan
The School of Engineering and Digital Arts strives to
- provide an environment which supports world-class research in the subject areas in which we teach
- offer excellent teaching
- demonstrate an enviable track record of achievement in enterprise-led activity enhancing opportunities
- nurture strong partnerships with academic and industrial organisations in the UK, Europe and worldwide
- impact positively on contemporary issues, recognising that the unique blend of technological and design expertise within the School is at the forefront of the needs of 21st Century Society
- develop and support the career plans and aspirations of its staff and student body
Ten reasons to study at EDA
- Excellent employment prospects, with dedicated placement and careers support
- 1st in 2015 NSS and top 15 rankings for both Engineering and Digital Media in the Guardian University Guide 2017
- 100% for overall satisfaction, in the subject area of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES)
- Over 30 years' continuous accreditation by the IET
- Year in Industry option provides valuable industrial experience, often leading to employment, with courses informed by industrial panelists
- Inspirational teaching informed by high-quality research, ranked 21st in the UK for intensity, with 98% judged to be of international quality
- State-of-the art facilities and excellent support
- Great location, close to London and mainland Europe
- Generous bursaries and studentships available
- Strong, diverse international community with a rich student experience
The School was established over 40 years ago and has developed a top-quality teaching and research base, receiving excellent ratings in both research and teaching assessments. The School is engaged in high-quality research with significant national and international impact while offering excellent opportunities for graduate studies. We have been consistently attracting substantial research funding from the UK Research Councils, European research programmes, industrial and commercial companies, government agencies and others and our spread of expertise allows us to respond rapidly to new developments.
Impressive Career Prospects
A postgraduate qualification from Kent opens up a wealth of career opportunities by providing an impressive portfolio of skills and specialist knowledge. Employers recognise that a postgraduate qualification demonstrates a wide range of skills. During your programme, you acquire a high level of academic knowledge and specialist practical skills.
An active school
As a postgraduate student, you are part of a thriving research community and receive support through a wide-ranging programme of individual supervision, specialised research seminars, general skills training programmes, and general departmental colloquia, usually with external speakers. We encourage you to attend and present your work at major conferences, as well as taking part in our internal conference and seminar programmes. The atmosphere of our School is informal, friendly and has at its centre, a thriving and diverse postgraduate community from all over the world. We also have a lively community of students and graduates participating in our social media communities on Facebook and Twitter which you are encouraged to be a part of.
This school offers programs in: