The concept of a new, high quality, private university in Muscat was approved by Oman’s Education Council within the framework of Government efforts to develop human resources in Oman in cooperation with leading figures in both the public and private sectors.
Since November 2013, Oxford University Innovation, the technology transfer company of the University of Oxford in the UK, has been working as a lead consultant for the project which has financial backing from a large group of Omani business leaders as well as the Omani government.
Muscat University is innovative and entrepreneurial with close connections to the business communities of Oman and the wider region. Its programmes combine academic rigour with relevance to the world of work. The first intake of students for Pathway programmes took place in October 2016, with the first intake of degree programme students in September 2017.
For the academic year 2016/2017, Muscat University will be located on the third floor of the Children’s Public Library, Qurum. After the first year, Muscat University will be located in impressive initial premises being constructed on Sultan Qaboos Street beside the Porsche showroom and opposite the Avenues Mall in central Muscat, the capital city of the Sultanate of Oman. The permanent campus is being planned for construction in the coming years on land located in Airport Heights, Seeb, Muscat.
Mission, Vision and Values
Muscat University’s mission, vision and values are underpinned by four essential themes: ethics, excellence, entrepreneurship and innovation.
Muscat University will transform individuals and communities through excellence in teaching and in research that is both rigorous and relevant. We will achieve success through:
- Innovative, entrepreneurial and ethical approaches to our structure and to all our activities
- Scholarship that embraces collaboration and community engagement
- A learning environment that is supportive, creative and fulfilling
- An inclusive culture of global citizenship
Vision and Values
The vision of Muscat University is to be a beacon of excellence in innovation and entrepreneurship in its chosen focus areas for Oman and for the wider region. Muscat University will deliver high-quality teaching supported by research that is relevant to the social and economic priorities of Oman and the region.
The rigour and relevance of this research activity will facilitate the recruitment and retention of high-quality academics, benefit national and international accreditation processes and procedures, and enhance the status of the University in national and regional rankings.
Central to the vision of Muscat University is the incorporation of innovative and entrepreneurial approaches to all aspects of its structure and operation. The University will be agile and flexible as it continues to evolve in a landscape of higher education characterised by rapid and constant change.
Muscat University’s vision is to create a higher education environment in Oman for both Omani and international students that are conducive to producing cadres of future leaders in both the public and private sectors. These leaders will be capable of operating internationally and will reflect the core values of the University:
- A strong commitment to ethics: this is central and critical to our long-term success as a University. Every University student, academic and staff member must hold themselves to the highest ethical standards, and the University will not accept or allow anything less.
- Full compliance with all laws and regulations of Oman and of any other country in which students, staff or academics are active.
- A learning environment that is positive, creative and rewarding, that promotes individual expression, innovation and achievement, where students, staff and academics are offered opportunities to grow personally and professionally and where all are treated with respect and dignity.
- All processes and decisions in recruiting, developing and promoting students, staff and academics are based on merit. Responsible business practices and social investments to create long-term sustainable value in helping transform societies and communities, in conserving limited resources, and in protecting the environment.
- An environment encouraging and enabling of innovation and entrepreneurship at the core of the University’s structure and activities.
Private universities such as Muscat University are licensed and supervised by the Directorate General of Private Universities and Colleges, a unit within the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE). The Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA) is the Government body responsible for the accreditation of institutions and programmes of public and private universities in Oman.
Muscat University believes that affiliation agreements are beneficial in building credibility and confidence in the brand and therefore agreements have been made with high-quality international universities that provide the best possible ‘fit’ to the mission and ethos of Muscat University.
Academic Degree Programmes
For Muscat University’s academic degree programmes, the partnerships with high-ranking Cranfield University , UK and Aston University , UK entail the awarding of dual degrees. For its General Foundation Programme and Pre-Master’s Programme, Muscat University’s partnership with MLS International College, UK brings added credibility to the programmes as well as the provision of valuable external quality assurance oversight.
Muscat, Muscat Governorate, Oman