The foundation of the University of Catania, the oldest in Sicily, dates back to 1434, when the king of Spain, Alfonso of Aragon authorized the establishment of a Studium generale with the privilege of issuing legally valid academic titles – baccellierati, licenses and degrees – in the four core disciplines of theology, canon and civil law, physical (medical) and joint philosophy, liberal arts (literature), the papal recognition arriving ten years later from Pope Eugene IV.
The university offers several programs completely held in English:
- Master Degree in Automation Engineering and Control of Complex Systems
- Master Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Master Degree in Chemical Engineering for Sustainable Industrial Development
- Master Degree in Global Politics and Euro-Mediterranean Relations
- European Master Course TEMA – European Territories (Civilization, Nation, Region, City): Identity and Development
Today the university buildings are spread throughout the city, with a contrast between the modern, hi-tech “University City”, and numerous historical buildings in the old city center. It offers an attractive portfolio of academic titles and is committed in the creation of a “laboratory” where the ancient Mediterranean culture meets the new technologies, in order to offer advanced training experience. Students wishing to take an undergraduate degree will find our university to be a high quality educational institution. Excellent departments and support services are offered throughout all of our university sites in Catania, Syracuse and Ragusa. Here, students may also discover a culturally dynamic environment suitable for growing as students and individuals as well.
This school offers programs in: