About PolyU Design
PolyU Design has been an important hub of design education and research for Hong Kong since 1964. The School thrives on its geographical position in bridging the East and the West, allowing its students to develop their design strengths with a uniquely international cultural awareness at both professional and social levels.
PolyU Design has been consistently ranked as one of the top design schools ('The Best Design Schools in the World') in the world by BusinessWeek magazine since 2006.
- In 2009, BusinessWeek rated our Master of Design (Design Strategies) programmes one of the World's 30 Best Design Thinking Programmes.
- In 2013, PolyU Design became the only School from Asia on Business Insider's World's Best 25 Design School list.
- In 2015, the School is ranked 1st in Asia and 24th in the world on the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings® by Subject 2015 - Art and Design.
- It is also listed as one of the Top 10 Best Industrial Design Schools in the World from Design Schools Hub.
- In 2016, the School is ranked one of the top in Asia and the 21st in the world on the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings® by Subject - Art and Design. It is also listed as one of the Special Mentioned Graphic Design Schools in the World from Design Schools Hub.
- In 2017, the School is ranked one of the top in Asia and the 27th in the world on the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings® by Subject - Art and Design.
Dennis Chan 陳瑞麟 - jewellery; product
Eric Chan 陳秉鵬 - product
Kade Chan 陳柏熹 - origami; product
Raman Hui 許誠毅 - film; animation
Keung Hung 洪強 - media arts; education
Kit Hung 洪榮杰 - film; education
Freeman Lau 劉小康 - art; product; branding
Gigi Leung 梁詠琪 - singing; songwriting; acting
Henry Lau 劉志華 - fashion
Rebecca Lee 李樂詩 - explorer
Tony Leung 梁家輝 - film; acting
Tommy Li 李永銓 - branding
Anthony Lo - car design
Alice Mak 麥家碧 - artist; cartoonist
Vivienne Tam 譚燕玉- fashion
Paul Wong 黃貫中 - composing; songwriting; singing
Timmy Yip 葉錦添 - film; costume design
Kitty Yuen 阮小儀 - tv; radio
We stand at the junction of art and science, with a philosophy of offering high-quality design education and producing high impact research and consultancy work in both pure and applied nature. While we appreciate the highest ideals of art, we believe in the creation of human-centric products, brands and services, which are relevant to industrial, commercial and community needs now and in the near future. Our approach provides a robust research foundation in design to support these ideas.
The School’s extraordinary 50-year legacy of scholarship and research in the midst of the dynamism of Asia assures us a bright future. Our highly diverse design expertise includes Product Design, Communication Design, Advertising Design, Digital Media, Interior Design, Environment Design, Urban Design, International Design and Business Management, Design Management, Innovation Leadership, Design Strategy and Interaction Design.
We nurture nearly 1,400 students yearly in a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes with some 50 of them being PhD students. The School provides a high level, a well-equipped environment that includes significant research infrastructure with eight laboratories and a variety of first-class technical workshops in the Jockey Club Innovation Tower, a landmark building designed by Zaha Hadid (1950-2016). We believe new premises drive new thinking. That is why the School has launched the Jockey Club Design Institute for Social Innovation, the first of its kind in Asia, to actively foster new approaches and new fields of design expertise.
The School’s research and academic programmes are governed by our core values:
- Developing an Open Mind Frame;
- Steering Positive Change;
- Establishing Visionary Entrepreneurship;
- Practicing Authentic Expression; and
- Designing Responsibly
This school offers programs in: