The College of Law is a school of professional practice for lawyers. We are also the largest provider of practice-focused legal education in Australasia.
Our mission is to enhance the careers of legal professionals across Australasia through the delivery of innovative, practice-focused legal education and training.
The College of Law has been at the forefront of practical legal education since 1974. More than 60,000 of our graduates work across all facets of the industry – and we’re one of the most trusted names in legal training in Australia and New Zealand.
But what sets us apart is our focus on the practical side of law and the true relevance of our education programmes.
With over 400 staff across Australia and New Zealand – most of whom are practising lawyers – we work from the profession, for the profession. We also engage a range of legal professionals (including judges, barristers, solicitors and in-house counsels) to contribute to the College through our:
- Boards and subcommittees
- Chapter boards
- Subject advisory committees
- Alumni associations; and
- Membership and honorary fellow programmes
In Australia, the College is one of the few non-universities to achieve status as a Self-Accrediting Authority from the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency.
KEY EVENT TIMELINE
- 1974: The College of Law New South Wales established
- 2004: The College of Law New Zealand established
- 2005: The College of Law Queensland established
- 2005: The College of Law Victoria established
- 2006: The College of Law Western Australia established
- 2008: Master of Applied Law Programs launched in Australia
- 2015: The College of Law awarded self-accrediting authority
- 2015: The College of Law South Australia established
- 2016: PLT program launched in Northern Territory
- 2016: The College of Law Asia established
- 2016: Centre for Legal Innovation founded
RECOGNISED BY AUSTRALIA'S TERTIARY EDUCATION AND QUALITY STANDARDS AGENCY
The College of Law is a Self-Accrediting Authority recognised by the Commonwealth of Australia's Tertiary Education and Quality Standards Agency. This means the College has achieved, within its specialist areas of law, the academic standards, governance and quality equivalent to that of an Australian university.
In New Zealand, the College is accredited by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, which rated the College Highly Confident in its educational performance. This is the highest attainable level.
THE COLLEGE OF LAW ASIA-PACIFIC
The College of Law Asia-Pacific is based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and its Director Peter Tritt is based in Kuala Lumpur. The College of Law Asia-Pacific was established in 2016 to expand the College's operations into Asia, with a special focus on the new ASEAN Economic Community. The College of Law Asia-Pacific has added three new jurisdictional streams to the College's LLM in Applied Law programme.
- ASEAN+6 Cross-Border Legal Practice
- Common Law Legal Practice (New Zealand)
- Malaysian Legal Practice
This school offers programs in: