In just over one hundred years, Swinburne University of Technology has grown from a local provider of technical education into an Australian leader in tertiary education.
We offer the full range of postgraduate qualifications, from graduate certificates to PhDs.
Among our 27,000 full-time students is a lively community of around 6,000 international students.
Swinburne is a challenger. We ask our students and our staff to “question everything”, and it’s this spirit of inquiry – combined with a strong focus on the practical side of education – which stimulates creativity and encourages freedom of thought.
By applauding initiative, encouraging imagination and refusing to follow the crowd, we’re creating a genuinely unique learning experience.
Where do the best teachers teach?
Many teach at Swinburne.
Our success is based on more than great facilities and excellent programs. We are recognised for the quality of our teachers, academics who can turn good students into great students.
- The best university in Melbourne for Teaching Quality and one of the top three for Graduate Satisfaction (Good Universities Guide 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010).
- One of only nine universities in Australia that have been consistently rewarded for ‘teaching excellence’ by the Federal Government’s Learning and Teaching Performance Fund over the past four years.
- Ranked in the world’s top 500 universities by the Times Higher Education.
Who is as committed to research as you are?
We believe great minds are better able to flourish in an environment dedicated to pushing the boundaries – to exploring not only “what is” but “what could be”.
- Committing $250 million over four years to provide state-of-the-art facilities and resources for teaching and research.
- One of only three universities in Melbourne awarded a four-star rating for Research Intensivity (Good Universities Guide 2008).
- One of only 10 Australian universities whose research is cited above the world average – this “Top Ten” includes the Group of Eight, plus Swinburne. (Thomson ISI 2006)
The perfect place to study?
Of our five Australian campuses, most international students will study at Hawthorn, Lilydale or Prahran.
Swinburne’s main campus, at Hawthorn, is just 8 kilometres (5 miles) from the centre of the city, within walking distance of cafes, shopping boutiques, restaurants, supermarkets and public transport.
Home to the prestigious Faculty of Design and the National Institute of Circus Arts, the Prahran campus is a creative, lively learning environment situated within one of Melbourne's most vibrant suburbs.
The tranquil setting and friendly, supportive atmosphere of our Lilydale campus will allow you to enjoy a learning experience that is both relaxed and enriching.
We also have outer suburban campuses at Croydon and Wantirna and an international campus in Sarawak, Malaysia.
Is there more to Melbourne than study?
You’ll get more out of Melbourne than a great education.
Melbourne is one of the world’s most liveable cities. It is considered Australia’s cultural, culinary and sporting capital.
Home to 3.8 million people, the capital of Victoria boasts a mild climate, affordable living costs and an extensive public transport network. There are a multitude of green spaces – parks and public spaces – as well as a rich selection of night-time social options.
This school offers programs in: