MAgrSc Agricultural Extension and Innovation
University College Dublin
EUR 9,690 / per year
Earliest start date
The MSc Agricultural Extension and Innovation is a one-year full-time or two-year part-time programme based in UCD and is focused on meeting the needs of those who are interested in developing careers in advisory, consultancy or education services in the public, private or non-governmental sector.
This MSc will equip graduates with the skills and knowledge to understand more about the processes of learning that underpin change and development and to be effective in building the capacity of farmers to adopt new practices and technologies.
A two-year part-time distance learning taught Master's option is also available for those working in the agri-food sector.
Students will develop competencies in: analysis of the context of agricultural change; design and development of appropriate advisory strategies to support agricultural development; how to support adult learning and behaviour change and research and analytical skills to identify and support worthwhile innovations.
The programme emphasises and values group work, problem-solving and creative thinking and encourages students to be active, self-directed and reflective learners. Assignments are based on real-life case studies that are complex and unpredictable, reflecting the norms of practice in advisory and education services.
Vision and Values Statement
The Masters in Agricultural Extension and Innovation (available both part and full-time) aims to build competencies in agricultural advisory and educational services and systems that can support and enable learning and behaviour change at the farm level, so that farm households can innovate and build sustainable livelihoods in a context of changing agricultural policy and market forces. The programme prepares Agricultural Science graduates for future roles in advisory services, technical consultancy and education delivery as well as providing opportunities for Continuous Professional Development (CPD) for agricultural science and other graduates who are already working in areas of knowledge transfer with farmers. The programme equips graduates with the skills and knowledge to develop and deliver appropriate agricultural advisory and educational programmes that serve the needs of farmers and farm families who are their clients. The programme emphasises and values group work, problem-solving and creative thinking and encourages students to be active, self-directed and reflective learners. Assignments are based on real-life case studies that are complex and unpredictable, reflecting the norms of practice in advisory and education services.
Who should apply?
Full-Time option suitable for:
- Domestic (EEA) applicants: Yes
- International (Non-EEA) applicants currently residing outside of the EEA Region: Yes
The Programme is primarily focused on meeting the needs of Agricultural Science graduates who are interested in careers in advisory, consultancy or education services in the public, private or non-governmental sectors. This programme will suit you if you are interested in supporting farmers in agricultural innovation and development and are interested in understanding more about the processes of learning that underpin change and development. The programme is suitable for individuals interested in careers in agricultural extension and education in the public, private or non-governmental sectors.
Scholarships and Funding
Please note that UCD offers a number of graduate scholarships for full-time, self-funding international students, holding an offer of a place on a UCD graduate degree programme. For further information please see International Scholarships on our website.
What modules can I take?
Stage 1 - Core
- Design Thinking for Agricultural InnovationI
- Research Methods Part I
- Research Methods Part II
- Agricultural Extension & Innovation
- Minor Thesis (Extension & Innovation)
- Group Approaches in Agricultural Extension
- Project Management in Agricultural Extension
- Understanding the Family Farm Business
Stage 1 - Option
- Agri-Environmental Nutrient Management
- Animal Nutrition II
- Dairy Production
- Devs in Crop Production & Utilisation
- How to Change Behaviour
- Policies & Strategies for Sustainable Agriculture & Rural Development
- Strategic Communications
- Sustainable Agriculture
Students on the full-time programme have the opportunity to take an industry placement as part of their minor thesis. Students have taken placements with Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB) in the UK, Microsoft and many other companies and institutions who support farmer advice and behaviour change.
The programme also provides opportunities for Continuous Professional Development (CPD) for graduates who are already working in areas of knowledge transfer with farmers.
- Apply research and analytical skills required to identify and support worthwhile innovations
- Be committed to ongoing reflective practice and professional development
- Be competent to facilitate processes of knowledge transfer and knowledge exchange in support of client livelihoods
- Demonstrate a specialized understanding of the agricultural knowledge and innovation system and in particular the synergy between research, extension and education as policy instruments in the context of agricultural change
- Demonstrate empathy and understanding of the interplay between economic, social, cultural, and psychological factors that affect farm household decision making and the ability to use this understanding to formulate appropriate responses to clients in different circumstances
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to support adult learning and behaviour change
- Design and develop appropriate advisory and educational strategies to support agricultural development
Program Tuition Fee
Careers & Employability
Across the globe, there is increasing awareness of the critical contribution of knowledge transfer processes to sustainable and competitive agricultural development and graduates with competencies in agricultural extension are highly sought after.
Career opportunities for graduates of this programme are excellent and include advisory services, agricultural sales, agricultural media, agri-tech companies, consultancy and education delivery in the public, private or non-governmental sectors.
- Agricultural Advisory
- Agricultural Consultancy
- Education Delivery
- Communications / Media
- Sales / Account Management
- Knowledge Transfer