Master's Degree in Local Government and Innovative Public Policies
Universidade Santiago de Compostela
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Earliest start date
The Master's Degree in Local Government and Innovative Public Policies offers specialized training in government and management of local administrations, aimed at strengthening the skills of those who aspire to work in this public sphere, of those who lead and manage it and of those from the private sector offer support services to local governments.
The transformation processes of public administrations in a complex context of new social demands, the incorporation of new technologies and the interaction between multiple actors are at the center of attention. The objective is to provide students with advanced and innovative skills for government action, management processes and the development of public policies with special attention to the local sphere.
The study program addresses, from a multidisciplinary perspective, key training needs, such as the application of new technologies to the provision of public services, innovation in budget management, the development of leadership skills, strategic planning, the management of projects, fundraising, the development of new local policies, gender mainstreaming, multilevel governance management or democratic participation and innovation. The objective is to achieve a solid training that provides the necessary tools that the transformation of local entities requires and that has a positive impact on their communities.
The main objective of this degree is to provide advanced training, of a specialized and multidisciplinary nature, in local management and public policies, allowing professional and research specialization in this field.
The specific objectives are:
- Provide training for institutional strengthening and social cohesion of municipalities and local communities.
- Spread a new conception of local government and delve into new perspectives of intervention from that area.
- Offer innovation tools that allow remodeling the organization of local administrations and enhancing their efficient management.
- Provide ways to bring local institutions closer to citizens and lay the foundations for new networks of collaboration and institutional integration.
- Train specialized personnel in the management of local public programs and in attracting new resources that sustain the operations of the local public sector.
- Provide skills to increase efficiency in local management.
- Train in the design and execution of local public policies that promote the improvement of people's well-being, environmental sustainability and the promotion of the economy.
- Disseminate a more transversal action by local entities, which favors an innovative logic oriented towards social and economic objectives.
- Promote research activity applied to the field of government and local public policies.
The areas of job placement for students cover both the public sector (local administrations in particular) and third sector entities and private companies (specialized consulting, entrepreneurship and social organizations) that offer support services for local management.
The study program improves the capabilities to perform positions in the government of local entities and trains at an advanced level to perform technical administration and management positions, as well as advice on management, public policies, fundraising and local transformation. Likewise, the knowledge transmitted constitutes a resource to support the preparation of selective processes for access to local employment.
Finally, the training acquired also offers the necessary knowledge to be able to undertake applied research in the field of regional and local development, technological change and innovation.