Master of Science in Operations Management
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Department of Logistics and Maritime Studies
Hung Hom, Hong Kong
Earliest start date
We cater for ambitious employees in the private and public sectors who wish to develop their management skills and enhance their career opportunities. This is a conversion programme, designed primarily for graduates in disciplines other than management. However, candidates with prior management or business education may be admitted, depending on their career needs.
This programme provides non-business graduates with the needed foundation in the main functional areas of management and graduates in all disciplines with in-depth training in operations management.
- Operations management in services and manufacturing
- Resources management in private and public sectors
- Quantitative techniques, decision-making, quality management, resource planning, information technology, and e-commerce
- Development of ability to contribute in a cross-functional, team environment
- Independent investigation into specific management problems
Scholarships and Funding
LMS Taught Postgraduate Programme Scholarship Scheme
- This is for entry of Programme MSc in Operations Management (Mixed-mode) (44092-OFM/OPM), available for applicants with outstanding academic and non-academic performance.
- Merit-based scholarships of HK$50,000 for each recipient.
|Award||Number of Required Subjects||Required Pattern||Required Pattern||Required Pattern||Required Pattern|
|Compulsory subject||Specialized Subjects||Restricted Elective Subjects||Free Elective Subjects|
|Master of Science||10 (30 credits)||4 (12 credits)||3 (9 credits)||1 (3 credits)||2 (6 credits)|
(4 subjects - 12 credits)
- AF5108 Accounting for Managers
- LGT5105 Managing Operations Systems
- LGT5426 Managing Innovation
- MM5112 Organization and Management
(3 subjects - 9 credits)
(Students must fulfil 3 specialized subjects from one of the streams)
Operations Analytics Stream
Quality Management Stream
Operations Strategy Stream
Restricted Elective Subjects
(any 1 subject - 3 credits)
- LGT5015 Supply Chain Management
- LGT5037 Project Managements
- LGT5040 Supplier Development
- LGT5101 Statistics for Management
- LGT5109 International Operations Management
Note: Students may take more restricted elective subjects than necessary, and those will be counted as free electives.
Free Elective Subjects#
(any 2 subjects - 6 credits)
- LGT5033 Lean Thinking and Practice
- LGT5073 Risk Management in Operations
- LGT5102 Models for Decision Making
- LGT5107 Total Quality Management
- LGT5111 Practice of Operations Management
- LGT5113 Enterprise Resource Planning
- LGT5122 Applications of Decision Making Models
- LGT5131 Warehousing and Materials Management
- LGT5153 Practice Quality Management
- LGT5157 Six Sigma and Quality Management Techniques
- LGT5158 Statistical Quality Control for Manufacturing and Service
- LGT5159 Implementation and Auditing of Quality Management Systems
- LGT5425 Business AnalyticsMM531Strategic Management
- MM544 E-commerce
- MM576 Marketing Management
- MM501 Research Methods
- LGT5205OM Dissertation
The offering of subjects is subject to class quota availability.
The subject syllabi are subject to approval.
# Common Pool Electives: Students are allowed to choose 1 elective, equivalent to 3 credits, from the Common Pool to fulfil the elective requirements of the programme.
Students should strictly comply with the prescriptions of the programme curriculum when performing subject registration. Those who fail to meet the programme requirements will NOT be allowed to graduate.
Credit transfer/exemption will not be granted for subjects chosen from the FB Common Pool unless the Elective Subject concerned falls within the programme curriculum. Please note that not all subjects will be offered every year and registration is subject to the availability of quota.