Interdisciplinary Studies integrates content, data, methods, tools, concepts, and theories from two or more disciplines to construct a more comprehensive and finely-tuned understanding of a problem. Ideal for addressing complex challenges that are too big for individual disciplines or professions, Interdisciplinary Studies transcends traditional boundaries, promoting collaboration and integration.
Some of the direct outcomes of interdisciplinary studies include:
- New discoveries and new knowledge
- New approaches to complex problem-solving
- Higher-level learning outcomes, such as critical thinking, analytical skills, creativity, flexibility
- Better workforce preparation
- Reinvigoration of the home disciplines
- New or improved opportunities for community collaboration/partnership