M.Sc. in Biological Sciences and Technologies
Earliest start date
* merit-based scholarships are available
Biological science is recognized worldwide as a vibrant, emerging area of study. The Master of Science degree (MSc) in Biological Sciences and Technologies provides excellent instruction in a focused discipline and will train modern high-quality biotechnology and life science experts which are in high demand globally.
Our small classes and student-centered approach mean that all of our students have the opportunity to develop close relationships with their instructors who can guide them into academic paths uniquely suited to them. Students have opportunities to get hands-on experience in laboratories and to participate in research projects independently or with their professors.
- Campus: Astana, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full-time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
- Total ECTS credits: 120
School of Sciences and Humanities
The academic staff at Nazarbayev University’s School of Sciences and Humanities comprises scholars with doctoral degrees from leading universities around the world. We also have researchers involved in various studies, and our scientists in the natural sciences conduct research in about 90 laboratories. Some of our faculty members even specialize in Eurasian studies. Admitted students of NU SSH can rest assured of tapping from our faculty’s wealth of knowledge and experience, both inside and outside the classroom.
We keep our classes small so students can readily receive one-on-one attention from their instructors. Moreover, instructors can tailor classes to the need of each student for the best learning experience owing to our student-centered learning. Our professors can work with the weaknesses of every student and improve their strengths. Laboratory experience and research involvement are not spared from this approach: our students get practical laboratory experience and collaborate with their colleagues or their professors in research.
University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
Other strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
MBST Program is designed for graduates from biological sciences, biochemistry, and cellular and molecular biology programs. The two-year MBST degree program offered at SSH is based on the highest international standards and the unique research infrastructure of Nazarbayev University. This program serves the needs of students with a strong undergraduate biology background with an interest in fundamental research, biomedical sciences, and synthetic biology. MBST provides distinctive training in quantitative biology and modern research methods. Students are taught advanced statistics and bioinformatics, molecular and structural biology of the normal and pathological cell, advanced microbiology, neurobiology, cellular biophysics, biophysical methods, synthetic biology, and beyond. They perform a research thesis supported by our leading research scientists.
The primary goals of the MBST program are:
- To give students a solid foundation in quantitative cellular and molecular biology to better understand how a new revolution happens in biological sciences in treating numerous diseases, including cancer and neurodegenerative diseases, and understanding the biological foundations of living systems;
- To provide students with comprehensive tools and mentored research on important issues in life sciences and experimental quantitative biology depending on their inclinations. This will entail working with leading Nazarbayev University faculties and will culminate in a Master's thesis;
- To raise a new generation of professionals capable of contributing to Kazakhstan's technological innovation and growth.
After completing the MBST program, students will be eligible to enter a Ph.D. program either in Kazakhstan or abroad or become employed in the local or international industry.