MA Urban Design
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds, United Kingdom
12 - 24 Months
Full time, Part time
GBP 8,000 / per year *
Earliest start date
* For UK/EU national. £14,000 for International Students.. International students are eligible for a scholarship of up to £5000 per year.
The urban design recognises architecture and the city as a collective form of knowledge. It brings together professionals from a range of backgrounds who share a passion for improving the design of our urban environments.
Whether you have studied urban design, architecture, interdisciplinary design or planning, this course will enable you to network with practitioners, planners, architects and landscape architects to explore the role of urban design in the city.
Why study Urban Design at Leeds Beckett University
- Course accredited by the Royal Town Planning institute
- Study the latest methods and design theories relating to urban environments, exploring the development and resolution of projects and focusing on achieving environmental sustainability
- The flexible studio-based course which will give you the opportunity to gain experience and build professional networks
- Leeds Beckett University is home to Project Office, our own in-house RIBA chartered architectural practice
- Study within Leeds School of Arts - one of the largest university arts communities in the north, with 3000 students spread across over 40 courses and 170 years of inspiring, challenging and innovative practices
- Take advantage of the interdisciplinary nature of the school; gain access to a vast range of ideas, skills and facilities which will allow you to shape your practice to suit you
This course will employ a research-by-design approach to understanding national and international cities. You will study governance as a spatial design concern and will gain a deep understanding of the formation of the city within diverse political, economic, social and cultural contexts. By developing your ability to apply theory to practice, you will appreciate the complexity of creating spaces across different structural layers.
You will study the latest methods and design theories relating to urban environments, exploring the development and resolution of projects and focusing on achieving environmental sustainability. Working with landscape architecture and town planning students, you will also address briefs provided by external clients, developing your ability to work as part of a team and making a significant contribution to innovative designs.
During your advanced modules, you will have the option to choose a design-focused research project which addresses alternatives to mainstream paths and ethical concerns, or you may wish to take the research pathway looking at urban themes in connection with interdisciplinary practice, social sciences and design.
The Inside/Out lecture series offers historical, theoretical and critical analyses of art, architecture and design and welcomes internationally recognised practitioners to come and talk about their practice. Find out about forthcoming events on the Inside/Out webpage
Research Excellence Framework 2014
Research Excellence Framework 2014: our University's results for the Architecture, Built Environment and Planning unit, which it entered for the first time, were impressive with 37% of its research being rated world-leading or internationally excellent.
This is a flexible studio-based course that will give you the opportunity to work and learn with students from a range of backgrounds, sharing experiences and building professional networks. There will be opportunities to attend activities such as the Architecture Open Lecture Series, symposia, workshops and interdisciplinary related events alongside fellow architecture and landscape students.
Teaching And Learning
Independent study is a crucial part of learning at university and you will be required to undertake many hours of self-directed research and reading, and preparation and writing of assessments. Your course is delivered through a number of modules, which will help you to plan your time and establish a study routine. Outside of your lectures, workshops and tutorials, a range of support is available to assist with your independent study. Our subject-specific librarians will be on hand to direct you to the specialist learning and study-skill resources. You’ll also be assigned an academic advisor to give you tailored feedback and support.
Scholarships and Funding
We are committed to ensuring that the opportunity to experience an education here at Leeds Beckett University is open to all. If you're thinking of joining us to study for your undergraduate degree, you may be eligible for a scholarship or bursary.
Bursaries are usually awarded depending on household income, whilst scholarships are available for a number of areas and are based on sporting or academic excellence.
Program Tuition Fee
We will encourage you to engage in the diverse landscapes of this sector and address the wide range of tasks that urban design practitioners participate in. Having successfully completed this course, you could go on to work in a private urban design practice within an architect’s practice specialising in urban design, or in planning for local authorities.
- Urban designer (public sector)
- Urban designer (private consultancy)
- Urban designer (voluntary sector)
- Urban designer (research and teaching)
Beckett Careers Team
Our Beckett Careers Team will support you with all aspects of your career planning, throughout university and beyond. Whether you’re looking for a part-time job or want to gain experience alongside your studies, need help preparing an application or exploring graduate job options, we can provide expert support every step of the way!
Throughout your university journey and up to five years after you graduate you'll have access to a broad range of support and tools to help you with:
- Getting ready to apply for jobs
- Working on your CV
- Preparing for an interview
- Applying for graduate vacancies or placements
- Connecting with employers and organisations
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.