MS Sustainability Management
Kogod School of Business, American University
Washington, DC, USA
1 - 3 Year
Full time, Part time
USD 1,866 / per credit *
01 Jul 2023
Earliest start date
* based on 2022-2023 costs and may be subject to change. Additional fees apply
Take the next step in your sustainability career today
If you've got a passion for sustainability and a desire to affect change, Kogod's Master of Science in Sustainability Management (MSSM) program is for you. The MSSM trains you as an innovator and an implementer, offering a business-based curriculum integrated with social science, public policy, and international issues. This is a STEM-designated program.
Graduates are equipped to analyze organizational problems in their environmental context and produce economic, ecological, and socially responsible solutions. Recent graduates of the program have found employment across the public, private, and non-profit sectors.
An Interdisciplinary and Specialized Program
The program's interdisciplinary structure provides a multi-faceted and nuanced understanding of the field. The coursework and curriculum integrate future-oriented business education with environmental and social science, public policy, and international issues. You may also take classes in different schools on campus, offering additional opportunities for enrichment.
The MSSM is the only program in the DC metro area that is available from a business school. In conjunction with an in-depth interdisciplinary study of sustainability theories and practices, students are exposed to modern managerial techniques that are applicable to sustainable business practices.
The MSSM curriculum focuses on:
- Risk Assessment
- Life Cycle
- Lean Supply Chain
- Firm Excellence
|STEM-Designated Program |
STEM-designated programs equip students with technological expertise and leadership skills vital to the US economy. The designation also allows international students to apply for a 24-month extension of their Optional Practical Training, granting them the ability to work in the US for up to 3 years.
|International Capstone Experience |
During the summer semester, you will travel abroad with your class to learn first-hand about sustainable practices in another country. Past trips have included Copenhagen, Denmark, and Malmo, Sweden.
|City at the Forefront of Sustainability |
Washington, DC, has been named the first Platinum LEED city in the world for its efforts in reducing greenhouse gas emissions, innovating around clean energy, and implementing other green initiatives.
Get The Experience That Matters
MSSM students participate in a dynamic international residency each year to learn about best practices in sustainability management across industry and the public-private intersection.
This international experience offers you the chance to learn about sustainability in different cultures, better equipping you to solve today's most challenging sustainability problems. In the past, students have traveled to Copenhagen, Denmark, and Malmo, Sweden. Graduate students emerge from this experience ready to lead green projects abroad.
While studying at the Kogod School of Business, you'll also enjoy the benefits of AU's AASHE-certified green campus. American University's Office of Sustainability holds an active presence on campus, encouraging a culture of sustainability throughout the student body. Enrolled students can find work and volunteer experiences that help meet American University's goal of "acting on our values of social responsibility, service, [and] an active pursuit of sustainability."
Required (15 credit hours)
- FIN-630 Financial Analysis of the Firm: Concepts and Applications (3)
- IBUS-641 Social Sustainability Strategy (3)
- IBUS-744 International Dimensions in Management: Study Abroad Project (2-3) (3 credit hours required)
- MGMT-617 Sustainability Systems and Innovation (3)
- MKTG-612 Marketing Management (3)
Electives (3 credit hours)
Complete 3 credit hours from the following:
- ENVS-610 Environmental Science I (3)
- ENVS-615 Environmental Science II (3)
- IBUS-745 Global Supply Chain Management (3)
- PUAD-685 Topics in Policy Analysis and Management (1-3): Environmental Sustainability and Public Policy (3)
- SIS-660 Environment and Politics (3)
Career Track (9 credit hours)
Complete 9 credit hours from one of the following, or other graduate courses as approved by the Program Director:
Sustainability Communications Executive
Capstone (3 credit hours)
- MGMT-720 Applied Sustainability Management (3)
Scholarships and Funding
An AU education is affordable.
of incoming students receive aid.
in financial aid awarded to undergraduates per year.
dedicated financial aid staff members. All incoming freshmen are assigned an individual counselor.
Awards go to students with demonstrated financial need.
AU determines your need based on the information you provide on the required financial aid applications.
Merit-Based Aid (Scholarships)
All students who apply to AU are considered for most merit awards, including Deans' and Presidential, on the basis of their admissions application.
Income from work-study jobs is to be used exclusively for educational purposes. Award amounts vary; hourly wages are determined by the employer and job category.
Applying for Financial Aid
Forms to Complete
- Apply to AU
- Complete the FAFSA
- Complete the CSS Profile
What you will need
- Financial Aid School Codes (FAFSA 001434 and CSS Profile 5007)
- Parent and Student Federal Student Aid Identification
- Parent and Student Social Security Numbers
- Federal Tax Forms to include W2s, 1099, etc.
- Non-Custodial Parent Contact Information
The Kogod Office of Career Engagement
The Office of Career Engagement empowers students and alumni to build meaningful relationships and careers. We provide the guidance, skills, and networking opportunities to turn aspirations into meaningful outcomes.
Students receive one-on-one guidance on relationship building, transitioning to new business jobs, crafting their resumes, and utilizing social media in their job searches. We also partner with employers to connect them with students and alumni who align with their professional needs.
The Office of Career Engagement helps build the path from passion for success, helping students, alumni, and employers make informed and intentional career decisions.
|Job search||Other resources|
| || || |
The Kogod Office of Career Engagement will continue to support our students’ career development while maintaining their safety and well-being by moving our services online. To best provide access to our services and resources over the next few weeks, we will implement the following changes:
- All career advising appointments will be conducted virtually. Handshake appointment confirmations will contain a Zoom link for your meeting. If you have difficulty locating the Zoom link or scheduling an appointment, contact [email protected] for assistance.
- We are moving upcoming workshops online and will update the event details in Handshake accordingly.
- Our Employer Relations team continues to work with employers recruiting Kogod students. Handshake will be regularly updated with available job and internship opportunities, and we will continue to host information sessions, panels, and other recruiting-related events virtually.
We appreciate your understanding and patience as we work through this together. Please check Handshake frequently for updates on programming and opportunities. We encourage students to continue submitting applications and expanding and engaging their professional networks. If you need help adapting your career strategy or have any other questions or concerns, please email ko[email protected] or schedule an appointment on Handshake.