International Master of Science in Rural Development
Ghent University - Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
EUR 5 / per year *
29 Feb 2024
Earliest start date
* European students (all EU countries + Iceland, Liechtenstein, North Macedonia, Norway, Serbia and Turkey): € 4,500 | Non-European students: € 9,000 | For VLIRUOS Scholarship holders the tuition fee is included in the grant
The joint International MSc in Rural Development (IMRD) offers the opportunity to study European visions on rural development and rural economics in their diversity of approaches and applications and to make comparative analyses of EU and non-EU agricultural and rural development strategies and agricultural policies. The objective is to train students from European and non-European countries, from developed, developing, and transition countries to become specialists in Integrated Rural Development with a focus on socio-economic and institutional aspects.
The jointly organized IMRD provides the opportunity to become an international expert in rural development by training students through diverse approaches:
- Awareness raising on the multifunctionality of rural areas
- Capacity building and ability to apply skills in diverse situations, contexts, or settings worldwide
- Combination of technical and social sciences
- Multi-disciplinary training: dialogue with different stakeholders and gain critical reflection skills
IMRD is a 2 year master's program (120 ECTS) jointly organized by 15 leading universities in the field of rural development leading to a high extent of integrated student mobility.
Structure of the programme:
- General Entrance Module - Semester I 30-35 ECTS - all students start at Ghent University
- Advanced Modules I and II - Semesters II and II of each 15-40 ECTS - Choose a mobility partner according to the requirements of the programme (study in at least 2 European partners, including if possible a stay at a non-European partner)
- Case Study - 10 ECTS - Nitra University, Pisa University (all students) or Can Tho University (for a student with a VLIR scholarship)
- Thesis Module - Semester IV 30 ECTS - thesis partner university
- Add elective internship or language courses if this fits your educational goals and after discussion with the educational coordinator
The International Master of Science in Rural Development (IMRD) delivers experts in integrated rural development, specialized in agricultural economics, sociology, policy and decision making. Graduates will be part of a unique international network of specialists in agronomics and rural development with a focus on socio-economic and institutional aspects.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
Flemish University Development Cooperation (VLIR-UOS) - full scholarships
VLIR-UOS supports partnerships between universities and university colleges in Flanders (Belgium) and the South looking for innovative responses to global and local challenges. It provides a limited number of scholarships for students entering the following two-year master's degree program at our Faculty:
- MSc in Aquaculture
- MSc in Food Technology
- MSc in Rural Development
The application and selection procedure for these scholarships is managed by ITC staff. You first need to apply for admission to the program of your choice.
Specific eligibility criteria for VLIR-UOS scholarships:
- Applicants can be no older than 35 years at the time of application.
- Applicants need to be a national AND resident of one of the 31 scholarship countries at the time of application.
Please contact the university for more information.
Ranking of the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering:
QS ranking: position 7 (Agriculture and Forestry)
Shanghai Ranking: position 13 (Agricultural Sciences)
Times Higher Education ranking: position 47 (Life Sciences)
National Taiwan University ranking: position 21 (Agricultural Science)
Ranking of Ghent University
Shanghai Ranking: position 84
Times Higher Education ranking: position 107
National Taiwan University ranking: position 84
QS ranking: position 159
QS sustainability ranking: position 58