Joint Master Programme in Marine Biotechnology
EU-CONEXUS - European University for Smart Urban Coastal Sustainability
La Rochelle, France
EUR 9,000 *
31 Mar 2024
Earliest start date
16 Feb 2024
* non-EU citizens
This joint Masters programme in Marine Biotechnology is an integrated multidisciplinary programme offered within the framework of one of the first transnational European universities.
The programme provides the student with a high-quality academic education, building professional competences in the area of marine biotechnology (also called blue biotechnology) and helping to address its global challenges.
It will ensure that students:
- essential interdisciplinary training in key topics related to Marine Biotechnology;
- opportunities to specialise within one of the four thematical tracks: (1) Innovative Bioproducts for Future; (2) Blue Biomass; (3) Marine Biorefinery; (4) Aquaculture Biotechnology;
- a tailored study programme according to their aspirations via individual professional practice (internship), individual research (academic research integration) and thesis work.
This Marine Biotechnology Masters gives the student multiple travel options within the alliance.
Students are integrated into a multicultural study group and a professional network, offering an immersive system of project-based learning in the ‘real world’ economy.
Learn from the best
Enrol and be inspired by our team of specialist thematic researchers. Participate in cutting edge research in blue biotechnology. Learn from leading industry experts bringing real work experience into the classes. Tackling marine biotechnology challenges through multidisciplinary understanding.
Studies with no border – be part of something bigger
Study in European Universities from different countries. Participate in trans-national research teams. Gain a Joint Masters Degree awarded by a European University Alliance and recognisable by six European Universities. Create your own European network for marine biotechnology. Custom-build your marine biotechnology career through four specialisation tracks.
International study campus
Enjoy a range of social and sporting activities. Experiment at least three different countries culture and lifestyles.
In 2016, the Blue Economy provided 3.48 million jobs in the EU and the average wage increased by 14.2%.
The EU-CONEXUS - European University for Smart Urban Coastal Sustainability countries represent more than 50% of the EU`s Blue Jobs.
The JMPMB focuses on the applications of marine biotechnology to:
- health, cosmetics and agri-food sectors to reach new markets and segments.
- manufacturing of new functional products from marine resources.
- the aquaculture sector such as : managing advanced breeding programmes, estimating significant diseases of aquatic organisms, modifying the metabolism of molecules in living organisms and support modern research for practical aquaculture development and seafood processing.
EU-CONEXUS - European University for Smart Urban Coastal Sustainability has built this programme in collaboration with stakeholders to match the actual needs of the biotechnological sector (list available here). Moreover, companies and research centers are involved in the teaching of the programme.
It will prepare employable students to get the following skills and knowledge:
- Understand the process of discovery and development of marine derived molecules and set up an efficient biotechnological pipeline to develop innovative marine natural products using state of the art techniques.
- Integrate problem-solving skills, specialised knowledge, and understanding from current challenges to innovative solutions regarding the sector.
- Acquire skills related to management of biotechnological innovation projects, transfer of R&D and protection of industrial and intellectual property in the marine biotechnology sector.
- Communicate efficiently scientific results to colleagues, customers and collaborators by means of highly organised, coherent, and cohesive both written and oral discourses to contribute to the betterment of the field.
- Work as part of multidisciplinary and international teams, following and maintaining high quality of work and high productivity.
The Joint Master programme in Marine Biotechnology is a 2-years full time study programme, taught in English and awarding a joint diploma, Master of Science in Marine Biotechnology (or equivalent), organised as followed :
Core courses in marine biotechnology
Core courses in marine biotechnology
|Internship in any company (6 ECTS)
Specialisation courses of the chosen track (16 ECTS) 4 tracks/specialisation the second year :
“Academic Research Integration (ARI)” course where groups of students from different tracks will work together on transversal research projects (14 ECTS).
|All partner universities according to the chosen track by the student in order to carry out his/her ARI; the elective courses will be taught online
Master Thesis (30 ECTS).
|Any partner and associated university
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
The 1st selection round is to select the best candidates to study JMPMB with Erasmus Mundus scholarships. EU-CONEXUS - European University for Smart Urban Coastal Sustainability joint Master programme in Marine Biotechnology has been selected by the Erasmus+ programme Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters (2022-2027, Project No. 101050597 – JMPMB) and offers more than 20 scholarships yearly to the best applicants in 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025.
*Call for application 01/12/2023 - 31/01/2024
The 2nd selection round is to select the best candidates to study JMPMB on self-paid basis or with partial scholarships. EU-CONEXUS - European University for Smart Urban Coastal Sustainability offers up to 10 places with 100% and 10 places with 50% discount for tuition fee with some partial scholarships to cover part of living costs during 6-12 (24, program duration) months to the best candidates of the 2nd round.
*Call for application 01/02/2023 - 31/03/2024
Other applicants will be offered a self-paid place. Maximum 40 students with or without scholarships will be accepted to study JMPMB in 2024.