The Viticulture & Enology: innovation meets tradition program aims at addressing how vineyard and winery innovation is quickly becoming part of the Italian viticulture tradition. Italy is now the largest wine producer in the world and boasts the greatest variety in terms of cultivars. The peculiarities of Italian viticulture and opportunity to maintain a leading role in the field are today bound by the ability to introduce sustainable innovation without losing its well-known appeal.
The main goals of the program are:
- To acquire solid methodology and knowledge suitable to address innovation issues in the vineyard and winery
- To achieve specific skills for new canopy management technique suitable to mitigate undesired climate-related effects, new sustainable approaches for pest and disease control, precision viticulture and enology
- Develop the ability to diagnose limiting factors occurring in vineyard and winery and to produce suitable solutions
- Learn to pro-actively take part in discussions dealing with viticulture and enology topics.
Career opportunities & professional recognition
The Master’s qualification in ‘Viticulture & Enology: innovation meets tradition’ will open up professional opportunities in the fields of viticulture and enology chain; wine marketing and distribution; restaurants; large-scale retail trade and freelancing.
A class that makes a difference
The Master in Viticulture & Enology will be comprised of international students and Cattolica’s domestic students.
Faculty & teaching staff
- Dr. Matteo Gatti - Research Assistant
- Prof. Gabriele Canali - Associate Professor
- Dr. Fabrizio Torchio - Research Assistant
- Prof. Stefano Poni - Full Professor
- Dr. Milena Lambri - Research Assistant
- Prof. Vittorio Rossi - Full Professor
- Dr. Emanuele Mazzoni - Research Assistant
Here just a few names of prestigious Wine Estates that gave their preliminary acceptance in hosting internships: Mossi, Tenute Ruffino, Barone Ricasoli, Santa Margherita, Sella e Mosca, Mezzacorona, Contratto, Ca’ Del Bosco, Zonin, Res Uvae, Marchesi Mazzei, Cavalieri di Malta, Pico Maccario, and Marramiero.
Can I learn Italian while studying?
An intensive Italian course will be available to international students for the duration of the Master in Viticulture & Enology: innovation meets tradition.
Are there internships opportunities?
Students will need to carry out a mandatory internship for the duration of at least 450 hours (i.e. 18 ECTS) in a farm/wine estate/ institution. A final exam is scheduled including a case study discussion and/or experimental activity carried out during the internship.
Can I work while studying?
Yes. Non-EU students entering Italy on a VISA are permitted to work part-time (20 hours per week).
- Vineyard variability: traditional and precision approaches
- Topics in wine-marketing
- Enhancing the wine quality: innovation in monitoring and controls
- Applied grapevine eco-physiology
- Advances in enology
- Disease and pest management toward a sustainable viticulture
- Seminars on sustainable pesticides use and genetic traceability will also be provided
ECTS of each course include also practical activities, wine tasting, and field visits.
Programme-specific entry requirements
Basic knowledge in viticulture and enology is required. As an alternative, a 3-week intensive course, “Basics in Viticulture and Enology” is offered prior to the beginning of the Master.
General graduate requirements
- You need to hold an undergraduate degree, obtained after a minimum of 3 years of study (180 ECTS). If you’ve undertaken less than 15 years of total schooling, you are not eligible for admission to a graduate program. Your application can be evaluated for a transfer to an undergraduate degree program
- Cattolica will evaluate your academic and personal background and decide if you meet the specific conditions for admission to the graduate degree of your choice
English language proficiency
For applicants whose first language is not English they will need to either:
- Have a TOEFL iBT overall score of at least 80 or an Academic IELTS overall score of at least 6.0 or;
- Have successfully completed a degree program taught in the English language
About the School
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore is the largest private university in Europe boasting over 41 000 students across 12 Schools. Cattolica distinguishes itself for its multidisciplinary curriculum, i ... Read More