The Graduate Programme in Special Education aims to provide knowledge and skills, both theoretical and practical levels, which are necessary for training and support for students with special educational needs in mainstream and special schools. It aims to provide knowledge, awareness, and education Pedagogical University graduates and other departments in the Special Inclusive education issues. This program will provide scientific information regarding the identification, evaluation and coping with children with special needs in mainstream school (general class, a special unit, or individualized special education) but also in other special education setting level. This program will also provide an opportunity to conduct research projects in an area where there have been conducted many studies to date, at least in the Cyprus area.
Each student has different characteristics than the psychophysical development, cognitive and linguistic ability, socialization and emotional development, in most cases the differences between children are not so large that it would take a different approach, but in other cases children show such differences with the other children of the same chronological age who need special educational assistance to enable the child to get the most from the training. The program aims to prepare teachers to educate, paidagogisei, support, and generally incorporate child to school with consistency and better integration into society. The courses include theoretical courses dealing with general, specific and contemporary issues special education and training as well as more practical courses related to teaching methodology and strategies used in special education and anti-racist education. Also, among other things, the development process occurs in all areas of development and possible deviations that may occur, and the symptoms of various special needs and the evaluation method in special education.
The overall goal is for the students to acquire a wide and solid scientific and educational background in relation to the integration of specific groups of pupils in the educational process and the promotion of the psychosocial development.
Expected Learning Outcomes or Objectives of the Programme
Upon successful completion of the program students / - only three are expected to know and see critically all questions relating to the Special Education. Specifically expected:
- be aware of issues: the conceptual definition of a single and inclusive education, otherwise the disability approach models, historical and institutional development of special education and the demand for inclusive education and issues concerning educational practice as the structures and functions MAP and the special school and differentiated approach to teaching.
- understand and incorporate basic concepts of IP and alternative models in the management of difficult cases / students with Special Educational Needs (SEN).
- to theoretically understand the models and make a critical analysis of the various methods and psycho-pedagogical techniques used on order to promote inclusion of students with special difficulties.
- have a different perception of the school environment, and to cooperate with other professionals and parents in an always supportive accession perspective of students with SEN.
- to understand the basic principles governing the development of the individual the key areas during infancy, early childhood, school and adolescence and get to know the typical course of development in these areas. Also, understand the interaction between genetic and environmental factors during development.
- be aware of the possible deviations from the typical course of development, with specific objectives to familiarize them with basic issues of psychopathology of children and adolescents, their awareness concerning the specific approaches that are required in the case of children and adolescents with developmental problems and their contact with the basic therapeutic methods to address these problems.
- to understand and to carry out sensitivity and success evaluation methods in order to identify the specific needs and the development of students' skills in an integration environment for all children.
- know various forms of disability, etiologic factors, diagnostic criteria and characteristics of the most common disorders / difficulties / disabilities.
- understand basic design methods, conduct and critical analysis of research especially educational research in Special and Inclusive Education topics.
- be able to design and develop either qualitative or quantitative research
Duration of study
The duration of the program, both for conventional and distance learning programs are the same, as follows:
- Full-time: three semesters (18 months)
- Part-time: six semesters (36 months)
If students fail a course or for any other reason can not complete their studies at the expected time, the duration of study can be extended. The extension time will be adjusted according to the Internal Regulation of Frederick University on the graduation of the students, which provides that the maximum duration of six semesters and part-time 12 semesters.
Click here for Opinions more information t
This school offers programs in: