The MERITUS University Master of Science in Shipping, Trade and Finance is an industry-relevant program that enables students to develop key skills and knowledge relevant to today’s shipping, trade and finance environment and demands
Unique features of this program:
- In-depth knowledge and insights in the area of shipping, trade and finance
- Develop the ability to implement a structured methodological and scientific approach in developing strategic and cost-effective models of operation for the shipping, trade as well as financial industry
- Capable to acquire, analyse critically, evaluate as well as synthesize data and information needed for a complete understanding of rapidly changing international and national business context in the area of shipping, trade and finance
- Able to identify problems or areas of improvement in managerial and operational aspects of shipping, trade and finance
- Able to recommend effective financial and business models for international trade as well as the business expansion of shipping or capital intensive companies
Developing Leaders who can create a difference through innovative thinking
- A rigorous and industry compliant curriculum provides students with the right knowledge to lead and be part of any organisation.
- A unique learning environment helps create the necessary attitude and life skills to succeed in today’s complex business environment.
- Access to industry captains bridges academia and practice allowing graduates to be essentially productive.
- Immersive learning and effective teaching methodologies enable students to apply theoretical knowledge to real-life industry environments.
- A wide network of industry partners allows graduates the opportunity to seek employment upon graduation and be instantly productive.
- Social entrepreneurship and industry research allows students to apply their learning to real-life projects established with our industry partners.
Students who wish to apply for this programme must first meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent, or
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in a relevant field; or
- Other equivalent qualifications recognized by the Ministry of Education Malaysia and accepted by the MERITUS University Senate
English Language Requirements for International Students:
- International English Language Test (IELTS) - overall band 6.5; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – 570 and above
* Conditional offers are considered on a case by case basis by the Admissions Committee
- Advanced Financial Management in Shipping
- Case Studies on Current Issues in Shipping
- Corporate Finance for Managers
- International Commodity Trade
- International Trade and Business Practices
- Leadership and Entrepreneurship
- Maritime Insurance and Risk Management
- Maritime Law and International Conventions
- Maritime Logistics and Supply Chain Management • Maritime Safety and Environment Impact
- Ports and Terminal Management • Research Methodology
- Research Project
- Shipping Economics
- Shipping Investment and Finance
- Shipping Operations, Chartering, Sales and Purchase
Job Opportunities and Placements
MERITUS University has established a number of industry collaborations through the Halim Mazmin Group with some of the leading organisations in Malaysia as well as around the region. Master of Science in Shipping, Trade and Finance students will have the opportunity to conduct their project work with these companies or potentially even work for these companies when they graduate.
About the School
As a niche university, MERITUS' unique approach to education is to offer a practical and effective blend of traditional, modern and experiential learning to ensure success.