This programme empowers graduates with essential HR knowledge, skills, and competencies to facilitate excellence in managing and developing talent. With a dual emphasis on theory and practice, this programme is designed for aspiring young graduates, practising HR professionals, and line managers who seek an advanced education in HRM.
- HKBU School of Business is amongst the 1% of business schools worldwide accredited by the three leading international accreditation bodies focused on business education: AACSB, AMBA, and EQUIS.
- This programme is mapped to the CIPD Advanced Certificate in Human Resources. As the CIPD Approved Centre, MHRM students who register as CIPD student members are eligible to achieve the CIPD Level 7 Advanced Certificate in Human Resources qualification and apply for the CIPD Associate membership after graduation.
- This programme is endorsed by the Hong Kong Institute of HRM.
Curriculum / Course Structure
Participants are required to take a total of ten courses (i.e. 30 units) for the MHRM programme. In addition to the eight core courses, the participant selects two elective courses.
- Human Resources Planning and Staffing
- Training and Development
- Performance Management
- Compensation and Benefits
- Employment Relations and Practices
- Ethics in Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Research Methods and Analytics
- Degree Project
Elective Courses (Select 2 courses)
- Human Resources Management in the PRC
- International and Comparative HRM
- Employment Engagement and Well-being
Academic Writing and Analytical Techniques Workshop
All new participants of the MHRM Programme are required to attend an 8-hour Academic Writing Workshop and a 2-hour Analytical Techniques Workshop in August before the commencement of formal classes.
Professional Development Activities (PDA)
Starting from 2019 September intake, all new full-time students are required to participate in at least 6 PDA within their 1-year of study, in which 3 should be activities offered by the Career Services Unit. New Part-time students are required to participate in at least 4 PDA within their 2-year of study. The programme office typically will arrange 4 to 5 seminars or workshop per year. Students are also encouraged to participate in relevant learning activities organised by other BUSD units, or the CIPD.
Upon completion of the MHRM Programme, participants will be able to:
- Complete people-management tasks, including selection, appraisal, disciplinary and grievance interviews, coaching, and counselling.
- Advice on the development, implementation, and evaluation of HR policies and procedures, based on an awareness of the organisational and cultural context and of ethical principles.
- Design, implement and utilise employment-related surveys and research, such as employee opinion surveys, pay level surveys, and organisational exit surveys.
- Evaluate the operation of the HR function in an organisation and its contribution to organisational effectiveness.
- Demonstrate oral and written communication skills and analytical and critical thinking skills appropriate to a business professional.
This programme is available on a full-time and part-time basis:
- Full-time: Weekdays and Weekends (Saturdays and Sundays)
- Part-time: Weekends (Saturdays and Sundays)
- Class time: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- A typical course involves 5-days of class contact.
Small-class teaching to ensure maximum interaction between students and instructor.
The teaching faculty is balanced between international and local faculty, many of whom, in addition to their academic credentials, have practitioner backgrounds.
Applicants seeking admission to MHRM Programme should normally possess:
- a recognised Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent professional qualification (with no working experience requirement); OR
- a recognised diploma plus a minimum of four years of working experience; AND
Language Proficiency Requirement
If English was not the medium of instruction for the first degree, applicants must meet the English language requirement as stipulated below:
- TOEFL: not lower than 550 (paper-based), or 79 (internet-based); OR
- IELTS (Academic): an overall band score not lower than 6.5.
* Applicants with five years or more working experience may consider HKBU Master of Science in Strategic Human Resources Management programme. *
About the School
For more than half a century, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has been at the vanguard of business education in Asia, molding generations of business leaders. Steeped in a tradition of academic ex ... Read More