The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Urban Systems is designed for early-career professionals with undergraduate credentials in disciplines related to urban systems who want to advance their careers in this in-demand area. The program equips you with the high-level technical skills needed to develop practical and sustainable solutions to meet the challenges associated with large urban infrastructure systems.
There is a growing demand for talented professionals with a confident understanding of engineering and urban planning and who have the management and leadership skills to guide large and complex projects. Graduates of this program will be highly sought after for their unique combination of leadership and technical sector-specific skills.
In just one year, the master’s degree will:
- prepare you to assume the professional responsibilities of managing all facets of urban infrastructure systems
- broaden your sector-relevant skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain
- provide a dynamic learning environment that follows a project-based curriculum
- offer opportunities for you to collaborate with world-renowned faculty and local leaders in infrastructure systems and urban planning
- help you advance your career by balancing technical learning with in-depth leadership courses on project management, business and communication
Watch this video and learn more about this technical management program from our students and professors.
- Undergraduate degree with an overall average of 76 %
- Document proving your current citizenship (usually a passport or other citizenship document from your country) or your Canadian permanent residency
Programme Specific Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in a discipline related to urban systems (a degree in engineering is not required for program entry)
- Two or more years of relevant work experience
As a graduate of this program, you will have the technical and leadership skills to take your career to the next level.
The MEL in Urban Systems is a 12-month, full-time program that follows a project-based curriculum. Many of the courses you take will adopt a flipped classroom format. This means that you will be expected to review course content ahead of classroom time, through readings or watching lecture videos. During classroom time, you’ll be engaged in discussions and activities to apply what you’ve learned. This could include case studies, group project work, and experiments and demonstrations.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally by a wide range of employers – from municipalities and utilities to transportation providers and engineering consulting firms. – seeking technical experts who can also manage and lead teams. Graduates will take on roles as city engineers, management consultants, city planners, policy advisors and entrepreneurs.
Cost & Fees
- International students: CAD $50,265.44 per year
- Canadian students: CAD $28,652.62 per year
- Degree: Master of Engineering Leadership
- Subject: Engineering
- Mode of delivery: On campus
- Specialization: Urban Systems
- Programme Components: Coursework only
- Faculty: Faculty of Applied Science
- School: School of Community and Regional Planning
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 26, 2018