Join passionate Bible teachers in a comprehensive, pre-doctoral program that combines biblically-based evangelical theology with Christian ministry. The Master of Divinity program meets ordination requirements for pastor or chaplain positions, and it will prepare you for further doctoral studies and for church or parachurch ministry.
- 92% of Northwestern graduates felt professionally prepared by their education
- 14:1 Class size ratio
- Excellent career outlook for divinity students
Why study divinity at Northwestern?
You will learn from caring faculty who are theologians and ministry practitioners themselves. Some of our professors are internationally known experts on the Dead Sea Scrolls, Old and New Testaments, minor prophets, and more. Here you will gain the knowledge, character, and competencies needed for effective ministry and further education.
During this program, you will experience dynamic discussions in a rich, non-denominational setting and be involved in ministry through internships with the option to apply to an outside Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program for your field experience.
For students who have not yet earned their Bachelor's degree, Northwestern offers an accelerated option through the B.A./M.Div. Dual Degree. You can ear your Bachelor of Arts in Pastoral Ministry through undergraduate courses in a traditional day-school format and a Master of Divinity, after completing the fifth year, through the Graduate Studies Programme.
The M.Div program is available completely online or in a blended learning format and can be completed in 42-46 months.
In addition to courses in Bible exposition, theology, and Christian ministry, the program allows you to select an emphasis (12 credits) in Theological Studies, Biblical Studies, Organizational Leadership, Education, or Human Services for a more specialized educational experience.
If you enjoy serving others, want to gain a deeper understanding of the Bible, and feel that God has called you to lead the church, our Master’ of Divinity degree can help you achieve your goals.
What will you learn?
You will learn to analyse, think critically, communicate effectively, and advance your knowledge of Scripture.
Some classes include:
- Biblical Hermeneutics
- Biblical Theology
- Leading and Organizing Ministry
- Pastoral Ministries
- Religious Heritage and Church Polity
- Choose online or on-site/blended learning format.
- Gain practical experience through integrated internships embedded into the curriculum.
- Take courses from internationally known experts on the Dead Sea Scrolls, Old and New Testaments, minor prophets, ministry leaders, and more.
- Experience dynamic discussions and exploration in a rich, nondenominational setting.
- Choose an emphasis in Theological Studies, Biblical Studies, Human Services, Organizational Leadership or Education. • Option to apply for Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) hours in place of internship hours.
The M.Div. degree will prepare you for roles in a variety of settings, such as:
- Church leadership
- Youth Ministry
- Church planting
- Mission work
- Higher education
- Advanced/doctorate study
Note: Roles in some settings may require additional education or training.