Master of Arts in Translation Studies
This is a 2-year program that provides for the professional development needs of practicing translators, translation project leaders, and translation consultants involved in the translation of the Bible and related material. It integrates training in Biblical languages, exegesis, translation principles, consulting, translation project management, and areas of linguistics directly relevant to Bible translation.
It costs Kshs.75,000 ($750) tuition per semester. Intakes are in August/Sept, December/January and April/May of every year.
Delivery modes are:
- Holiday (i.e. three weeks every April, August, and December)
- Evening and
- Blended learning
The requirement is undergraduate degree with at least 1st class/2nd class Honours (upper division) or lower division with 2 years working/ministry experience.
- An undergraduate degree in any area of specialization from an accredited institution of higher learning with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale, or a degree awarded with first-class or upper second class honors, or its equivalent.
- Applicants with 2.75 cumulative grade point average or higher or second-class lower division or its equivalent should have at least two years of relevant experience after graduation.
- An applicant who does not meet the above requirements must present an undergraduate degree in any area of specialization and a Postgraduate Diploma in the relevant area of study from an accredited institution of higher learning with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale, or its equivalent.
Mode of delivery
The MA in Biblical Translation involves both residential courses taken at AIU and distance courses taken in the student’s home area or field of assignment:
During the program, students will attend 5 residential sessions in Nairobi for approximately 3 weeks each. During each residential session, 2 courses will be taught, making a total of 10 courses. Biblical language exams will also be held at the start of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th residential sessions.
For the remainder of the program, students will be able to be based in their home country/area or field of assignment, taking a total of 15 online courses and completing practical assignments.
This non-residential period is designed so that students can continue to be involved in Bible translation projects during their studies.
If students are not already involved in a Bible translation project, the department will work with the student to find a suitable placement.
Alternatively, students are permitted to be resident at AIU for the whole duration of the program, if that is deemed to be the best choice.
MA in Translation Studies offered at AIU and is available full-time for over 2 years or part-time over 3 years.
The part-time program consists of 25 credit hours in years 1 and 2 and 22 credit hours in year 3; biblical language courses start in year 2.
We welcome new students every other year starting in 2013 (i.e. 2013, 2015, 2017, etc.). Students in the 2013 entry will take Greek as their biblical language.
- Tuition Fees: 65,400
- Admin Charges: 15,525
- Total Tuition Fees: 80,925
- Total per Year: 242,775
- Total for Programme: 485,550
- Tuition Fees: 43,600
- Admin Charges: 15,525
- Total Tuition Fees: 59,125
- Total per Year: 177,375
- Total for Programme: 532,125
How to apply
- You can apply online by clicking Online application or
- Download application form Application form
- You can send your application to Public Relations or Admissions
You can find out more by calling us.
About the School
Africa International University is a chartered Christian university located in the serene environment of Karen, Nairobi, a strategic location, serene and conducive for learning. Africa International U ... Read More