Master of Arts in Education
This is a two-year program aimed at preparing students at graduate levels to acquire professional competences in teaching diverse subjects in which they have received prior preparation and to be able to give leadership and administer education programs in learning institutions in diverse contexts. A unique feature of the program is the attempt to integrate faith, life and Christian values in the process, with a view to enabling holistic handling of the different subject matters. It has four areas of specialization depending on the student’s interests.
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Church Education
- Educational Leadership and Administration and
- Child Development and Family Studies.
It costs Kshs.75,000 ($750) tuition per semester.
Intakes are in August/Sept, December/January and April/May of every year.
Delivery modes are:
- Holiday (i.e. three weeks every April, August, and December)
- Evening and (iv) Blended learning
The requirement is undergraduate degree with at least 1st class/2nd class Honours (upper division) or lower division with 2 years working/ministry experience).
The Education department affirms the mission, vision and training philosophy of AIU in its commitment to scholarship, research, teaching, faithfulness to the evangelical faith and tradition, and its desire to produce men and women who can transform the landscape of education in Africa and beyond within a Christian framework. In a rapidly expanding field, students should be able, at the appropriate levels, to understand and critique the broader issues and policies that inform and affect educational research, planning, and implementation in various contexts with the view of transforming those contexts according to the missional agenda of God. The department affirms the vision, mission, commitment and objectives of the School of Professional Studies (SPS) in the endeavor to bring Christian influence to bear on the education profession. To achieve these, the department:
- Prepares professionals and practitioners at various levels for leadership roles in education by developing and implementing excellent, dynamic and relevant programs for diverse contexts.
- Strives to understand and inform educational practice by improving the conditions of learning and teaching across the lifespan and by engaging in holistic, rigorous research that addresses the needs and problems in the practice of education.
- Strives to foster and provide cross-departmental and cross-university dialogue on research, teaching, and learning that will lead to improving teaching at AIU and beyond.
- Seeks to connect theory and practice in partnerships with other schools and the community at large, through engaging with various educational enterprises of the Church and society.
- Provides a scholarly community for students, faculty, and staff for continuous professional development.
The department offers graduate specializations in four areas: Curriculum and Instruction; Leadership and Administration; Child Development and Family Studies; and Church Education.
On the basis of the program philosophy, the graduate program in education seeks to:
- Help students to integrate faith and learning.
- Guide students into understanding the theological, philosophical and sociological foundations of education and to integrate such understanding in making transformative and Christ-centered educational decisions in diverse learning contexts.
- Enable students to develop moral and ethical leadership styles within a Judeo-Christian framework.
- Encourage students to make a continuing commitment to on-going professional development and research.
- Develop in students a Christ-centered worldview that nourishes the skills and attitudes required to pursue and use knowledge in relevant and transformative ways.
- Mentor students according to 2 Timothy 2:2.
- Develop critical and reflective practitioners in the various specializations with the view of innovating practice and thought.
- Help students to evidence growth in Christian character for faithful service to the church, society through their various specializations.
About the School
Africa International University is a chartered Christian university located in the serene environment of Karen, Nairobi, a strategic location, serene and conducive for learning. Africa International U ... Read More