Master of Architecture in Architectural History and Theory/Master of Arts in Architectural History and Theory
Faculty of Architecture – CEPT University
The new Postgraduate Programme in Architectural History and Theory is intended for architects and graduates from other disciplines interested in advanced training in built environment research. Built upon the strong tradition of research at CEPT University, the program provides a thorough methodological grounding and critical communication skills essential for contemporary researchers. Much of the learning will take place using studio-based pedagogy, where students empirically engage with contemporary sites, processes, and representations, and will be supported by a range of theory seminars and methods courses. The only one of its kind in the South Asian region, the program will be of interest to those aspiring to work as educators (in architecture and allied fields), professional researchers, and entrepreneurs in the culture and heritage fields. At the end of this program one would be able to:
- Develop curatorial, analytical and narrative abilities through empirical research using studio-based pedagogy
- Provide grounding in critical theory and creative methodologies
- Develop professional orientation through curated internships with organizations engaged in research, publication, teaching and allied sectors
- Develop original scholarship through Independent research projects
Minimum Qualifications & Eligibility Criteria
Bachelor’s Degree in any stream with 55% aggregate marks for general category candidates and 50% aggregate marks for reserved category candidates can apply.
Sanctioned Intake: 12
We will seek applicants who are curious, and able to critically reflect, read and write on topics pertaining to the built environment.
Applicants are required to submit documents and a portfolio.
Documents to be submitted are:
- Degree Certificate (provisional, in case final not received)
- Transcript of Marks / All Marksheets
- Work Certificates (in case of work experience)
The admission process is as follows:
The students would be scrutinized on the basis bachelor’s degree marks (15%) and a written portfolio (85%) for stage I. The details for the portfolio requirements are as below
|Written Portfolio Requirements
||Evaluation Parameters / What We Look For
|Personal Statement - outlining why a candidate wants to join the program (500 words)
||Motivation of the candidate.
Please explain why the subject interests you and how you think the program fit into your personal and professional journey.
|An essay reflecting on/ critiquing a place/ building/ site that left a (positive or negative) lasting impression (maximum 1000 words + a maximum of six (6) visuals - may be photographs, drawings, collages or any other)
||Capacity for observation and description; visual and writing skills
The emphasis of your writing should be to show us how and why a particular built environment matters. Please use the visuals carefully, they should aid and contribute to your story. Well structured, interesting and lucid writing will be appreciated.
|Review of a book that the candidate considers very interesting (500 words)
||Reflection and personal insight
Imagine that your library is burning down (we hope that never happens!) and you have time to take just one book away with you. Which one would it be and why?
The applicant receiving grades as GPA/CGPA need to send the document indicating the relationship of GPA/CGPA with percentage marks as per their university/institute along with all the mark sheets.The applicant studying in the final semester need to submit all the mark sheets until penultimate semester.
Candidates selected at Stage I will be called for a personal interview for the final decision on the admissions. The final merit list will be prepared on the basis of the score obtained in Stage II. Marks obtained in Stage I will not be carried forward in Stage II. The break up for both the stages is as mentioned in the tables below.
||Weightage in %
|Bachelor’s degree Marks
||Weightage in %
The candidates with B.Arch. will be awarded Master of Architecture in Architectural History and Theory, while the candidates with any other qualifying degree will be awarded Master of Arts in Architectural History and Theory.
Fees & Financial Aid
Fees for Academic Year 2018-19 will be updated soon.
Student Financial Aid
Please be informed that you can avail Pre Admission Scholarship (Means cum Merit) by filling up the scholarship form. Scholarships ranging from 25% to 75% of the annual tuition fee will be awarded to selected students from among the eligible applications.
The last date for submission of Scholarship is 20th April 2018
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Students with family income less than Rs. 10 lacs per annum are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Recipients of the scholarship will continue to receive the scholarship for the full duration of the program subject to maintaining a minimum 2.7 SGPA (the equivalent of B-) in every semester and completing all courses in the first attempt.
- University holds the right to reject the scholarship application, in case of absence of any required supporting documents to be submitted by the applicant.
- The award of the Scholarship will be announced along with your Admission Offer Letter, however, the amount will be disbursed after one month from the beginning of semester/lectures.
For any further clarification in this regard please contact Admissions Office in below mentioned contact details.