Giving tomorrow’s policy leaders the skills they need to solve society’s most complex challenges.
Society is confronted by complex and entrenched policy challenges like providing affordable health care, increasing energy security while minimizing the impact on our environment, alleviating global poverty, reducing unemployment and spurring job growth, and improving school performance.
A Master in Public Policy (MPP) degree equips students with a set of core skills in economics, quantitative methods, management, and politics allowing them to evaluate and respond to these challenges.
The McCourt School Experience
VERSATILE, GLOBAL SKILL SET The MPP emphasizes analytical skills, enabling graduates to be highly effective in designing, analyzing and implementing policy in the US and around the globe.
CENTER OF THE POLICY WORLD Our location in Washington, DC puts our students at the centre of the policy world, giving them access to the highest concentration of policy internships and jobs.
LEADING EXPERTS Our students learn from a vibrant and engaged community of policy scholars and practitioners, who have served in all levels of government from the White House to the statehouse, from Capitol Hill to federal agencies, and who are regularly called upon to advise the government on all manner of pressing policy topics.
A NETWORK OF LEADERS The Georgetown alumni network is one of the strongest and most engaged in the world. Our graduates go on to serve in top positions in the public, private, nonprofit and multilateral sectors.
ACCESSIBLE AND ADVANCED DEGREE The MPP is a master’s level professional degree, but because work experience is not required for enrollment, students can further prepare for their career upon completion of their undergraduate coursework.
Flexible Schedule The McCourt School offers two options to complete your MPP degree. Students in the full-time program complete the MPP in two years. For those who wish to continue working while earning their degree, the MPP evening program can be completed in three years.
- 48 credit degree program
- Core Courses: 24 credits
- Electives: 18 credits
- Capstone Project: 6 credits
Who Should Apply?
We appreciate critical thinking on all levels - from class work to combat, volunteer activists to numbers crunchers.
We seek students who both dream in vivid colors and can do the work to make their dreams a reality.
We seek out prospective students who want to be leaders, not only in the United States but around the world.
We welcome working professionals who want to reinvent themselves—by transitioning to a new sector, industry, or vocation—and we value their in-depth skills and knowledge from other fields.
A bachelor’s degree is required for admission.
Previous coursework in microeconomics is required and some coursework in college-level precalculus or calculus is recommended for our MPP program. While prior work experience is not a required for the MPP, it is highly recommended and considered during application review.
Admissions Events & Visits
Join us online or in-person throughout the year for a comprehensive overview of our programs and answers to your questions. Sessions will also discuss the admissions process and requirements.
- Ask Us Remotely. Please join McCourt School staff and students in an Online Chat where you can get answers to your questions on academic affairs, admissions, career services, student life, and more.
- On-Campus Information Sessions. The McCourt School holds several on-campus information sessions each fall and spring for prospective students to learn more about our programs.
- Prospective Student Day. Each Fall, McCourt hosts a Prospective Student Day during which applicants have the opportunity to attend classes and sit in on panels with faculty, current students, and staff.
- Graduate Fairs. McCourt will be hosting tables at a number of Graduate Fairs across the United States.
- Alumni and Applicant Receptions. Meet McCourt representatives in your area! McCourt will be hosting Alumni and Applicant Receptions in New York City, Boston, Chicago, and San Francisco.
- Schedule an Individual Visit. If these events do not fit your schedule, we also welcome individual visits.
SAMPLE POLICY AREAS
- US Domestic Economic Policy
- International Economic Policy
- Education Policy
- Energy & Environment Policy
- Health Policy
- Homeland Security Policy
- Development Policy
- Management & Leadership
- Political Strategy & Governance
- Social Policy