This Master programme enables students to acquire deeper knowledge in biosciences taking into account new computational and high-throughput experimental technologies. This involves the handling of large amounts of data and thus bioinformatics and network analysis are essential elements in this modern education in biosciences.
What is Systems Biology?
Systems Biology (an extension of Biochemistry and Physiology) wants to understand and model systems: individual cells, organs and whole organisms on the basis of their constituting molecules. It integrates established disciplines in Biosciences and renovates them for the challenges of the future.
Aims of the programme
The Master of Systems Biology combines theoretical and practical education: at least 1,450 hours of practical work in computer labs and wet labs within the University’s Life Sciences Research Unit or in partner institutions (Luxembourg Institute of Health (LIH), the Luxembourg Institute of Science & Technology (LIST), and the IGBMC in Strasbourg). At the end of the programme, students will be able:
- to think on "omics" levels (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics and physiomics);
- to understand and apply the respective new technologies.
- PhD in biology/systems biology or bioinformatics (at the University of Luxembourg and abroad)
- Positions in biotech and pharma industry
- Researcher in biological, biomedical or pharmaceutical laboratories
- Data scientist with focus on biomedical applications
- Positions in Life Sciences/bioinformatics software companies
- Multidisciplinary research-based MSc course
- 2 year full-time programme / 4 semesters (120 transferable ECTS points)
- Small class sizes & individual mentoring: Max. 24 students selected per year
- Students use state-of-the-art experimental and computational facilities
- Strong links with the Life Sciences Research Unit (LSRU) and Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB) at the University of Luxembourg
- All courses instructed in the English language
- Application deadline: 28th of July
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 16, 2019