THIS PROGRAM IS TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
Fashion is part of our society. The act of “getting dressed” is part of our culture, covering functional needs of human beings and, more important, satisfying the necessity of communication. People from ancient times had always covered the body, both for determining the sense of belonging, and to differentiate from peers. Just considering that nowadays one of the first things done with new-borns in occidental society is dressing them, we can understand the importance of garment. The fashion phenomenon involves multiple complexities: we are no longer talking about a product; we are facing a complex system of interrelated disciplines that gives consumers a comprehensive experience where the garment is just a part of it. The product is surrounded by an entire world to be managed to ensure that the final target receives the right message and satisfies its expectations.
The communication received simultaneously by different media channels should be coherent with the style of stores and their location, the packaging, the service offered by the staff, the quality and style of the product, and the price paid for it.
The fashion business is becoming more complex, and fashion managers should be prepared for taking decisions in the context of an unstable market. The role of a professional capacity to interpret target needs, and transform them into opportunities, integrating product, distribution, branding, marketing, communication, and service.
This IED Barcelona Master in Fashion Management aims to prepare professionals capable to manage innovation into the fashion market, integrating project management, strategic planning, and core business management principles adding value into the business environment and maximize the value of their contribution.
Fashion designers, product managers, fashion marketing and communication professionals cannot work independently. A coordinated management profile is needed to understand all factors involved and facilitate better-informed decisions, in order to increase effectiveness and innovation in the fashion business.
The yearlong intensive program aims to provide students with the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge and tools and experience to become Fashion Management professionals.
- Enable Fashion Design, Marketing, Product and Business Management professionals to overcome disciplinary boundaries in order to grow into key drivers of organizational success.
- Develop students’ understanding of the complete ecosystem behind fashion business, to make them capable to face the actual fashion market challenges, adding value to their previously acquired professional knowledge and skills.
- Help Fashion designers, communicators, managers & marketing professionals interested in Fashion, become Fashion managers, Fashion managers become fashion leaders, and Fashion leaders become organisation leaders of the future.
- Develop into leaders capable of combining creativity, managerial skills and entrepreneurial mindsets within the constraints of Fashion Business realities.
- Make future Fashion managers understand the power of developing strategies, creating brands, and delivering products and services successfully centered in the consumer.
- Provide students with Fashion and Business Management tools that will enable them to become powerful key contributors in the Value Creation Chain, within the corporate environment or as independent professionals, who can adapt perfectly into the business environment through a deeper understanding of its reality and culture.
- Develop proficiency in using the tools provided. Students will be able to identify appropriate use of these tools to balance academic and practical knowledge, efficiency in communication and ability to evaluate necessary trade-offs when faced with real business challenges.
- Expand the students’ roles and capabilities in working with innovation teams.
- Encourage critical thinking to allow students to be active citizens of our global society.
At IED Barcelona Fashion Management is taught by a faculty body of practitioners from Fashion & Business, through the analysis of case studies and the execution of real-industry projects commissioned either by multinational companies competing in the global economy, or local companies competing in the international markets. All the contents, methodologies and tools are taught from the specificity of the fashion industry. This approach facilitates the training in decision making, placing the students in a real context for innovation and experimentation.
With the aim of giving a broad and complete preparation to develop their professional careers in the fashion market, students are trained in different and complementary fields. The complexity of managing a fashion business requires a proper knowledge of diverse tools, and the ability to apply critical analysis to quickly react to a changing landscape.
Fashion Managers should manage the complete cycle of fashion, from product conceptualization until the product is set on the store and packed in consumer’s shopping bag. The expertise on the fashion market is approached from the key disciplines involved in the fashion system. Experts in these fields will transmit students their experience on fashion trends, a process of product design and production, branding, retail and visual merchandising. The awareness on Fashion Culture complemented with Semiotics, Market Research and Trends will give a proper awareness to understand the target.
Business skills are taught from the perspective of the fashion business. Marketing, sales, finances, distribution, and supply chain are tackled from the fashion business specificity, from the big company’s perspective, but also giving the tools to undertake start-up projects as entrepreneurs.
Following the learning-by-doing methodology, students are constantly developing projects in teams. The Fashion Management Master students are hosted in a dedicated classroom, a space that it's transformed into an innovative design studio where students experiment with new tools an knowledge, with the guidance of the faculty. Small groups of students in the class facilitate the application of this hands-on methodology.
Leading managers need to have strong personal skills, to head projects involving heterogeneous teams of people. They should be capable to be the reference for the working team, but also transmit confidence to senior positions and investors. Personal branding, people management, and creative leadership will be then integrated during the development of classes.
Fashion leaders must be able to communicate very clearly their concepts, either to the business staff or to the working team in order to achieve the desired results. Therefore the students are taught a very diverse set of tools, to train their skills to a level where they can communicate well.
With the aim of creating synergies between future professionals, some transversal activities will be held for exchanging knowledge with students of different programs is part of IED philosophy.
Personal Research Project
The Personal Research Project is the single most important piece of written work that students undertake during their RSP Research Study Programme. PRP is the culmination Master and should demonstrate that the student has acquired skills, knowledge and analytical capabilities.
The project is an original piece of research involving primary data collection which aim is to undertake an individual work that meets the requirements outlined in these guidelines in order to achieve a passing grade.
The objectives of the thesis process are the following:
- To identify a feasible project in the student’s area of study;
- To establish clearly defined objectives and/or questions to be investigated;
- To design and implement an appropriate (design research/process) methodology;
- To understand the adding value proposition (concept);
- To create a business development plan based on the previous concept;
- To create feasible and concrete design proposals;
- To demonstrate analytical skills and produce valid findings;
- To apply theory to practical reality;
- To draw appropriate conclusions and recommendations where necessary;
- To produce a well organized and well-written final document and an effective oral presentation of the thesis.
After finishing classes and presenting the two real industries projects, students have the opportunity to implement and prove all the knowledge acquired and skills developed in a three months internship.
In the same period, students are working on their PRP so that they can choose to focus their investigation on a personal project or to connect it with the internship.
To give students a wider understanding of market state-of-the-art, 2 field trips are scheduled in the course curriculum, one to Milano and the other to Paris.
With the guidance of professors and coordination, students will explore different markets and professional contexts in Europe.
Field trips take students for 4 days to European Fashion Capitals to exchange knowledge in different environments. After these days devoted to academic activities, students have the opportunity to discover the city on their own.
The master recognizes and welcomes students from a range of backgrounds: graduates in disciplines of business areas, commercial, marketing and communication, fashion design and mass distribution; or professionals in the field of business management, the retail or fashion industry in general, and theoretical fields, interested in implementing and leading innovative projects in the context of the fashion market.
At least one year of professional experience is required to join the Master course.
To enter the validation process, all candidates should submit the following documentation:
- Academic background: an Undergraduate degree is required.
- Certificate of English proficiency: official IELTS or TOEFL certificate.
- Motivation letter.
- Candidates should pass a personal interview with the Academic Coordination.
IED Barcelona structures the program in a flexible way to attract students with different specialties and with various backgrounds. This creates a multidisciplinary environment for the students during the course, to development of a complete vision through fashion management.
Students who take this Master will add value to their professional experience integrating multidisciplinary teams or independently innovative undertaking their own business; they can develop their career in the areas of project management and strategy in companies related to the fashion area and retail.
The coordinators of the Master support the choice of the teaching team, all of them professionals with extensive experience, and associated with prestigious institutions and organizations in their fields of expertise. We have the participation of prominent international professors and speakers, who will explain to students the different approaches to Design Management.
Degree in Business Administration and an ESADE MBA. Since 1990 she has been involved in strategic marketing consultancy projects in very different sectors for private companies, being fashion design among them. Along with her career, she has been collaborating in institutional and international projects, among others, with the Barcelona Olympic Games Committee, the World Bank Group, Spanish Government, the Barcelona city hall, FAD (Fostering Arts & Design ) and Inexmoda.
Teresa has been a member of the ESADE Business School Faculty during twelve years in the Marketing Management Department. Teresa joined IED in 2002 focusing on strategic marketing subjects and Major Project tutorials. Since 2011 she is leading Westminster’s Marketing Strategies and Techniques Module at the BAH Westminster’s Fashion Marketing and Communication Programme offered in Barcelona.
*The educational planning for all IED Master courses is aligned with the criteria established by the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). The IED Master program has adopted a credit structure that follows the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). The IED Master issues private degrees.