Students gain an understanding of the grid, historically and today; electricity markets; electricity production, efficiency, and conservation; governance, risk, and compliance (GRC); environmental impacts and constraints from energy; and the policy environment. They develop skills in strategic management, communication, change management, stakeholder engagement, and critical and systems thinking.
Our interdisciplinary program features small class sizes and opportunities for research, internships, and professional engagement.
Programme Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- utilize principles and processes of whole systems to understand how the energy system impacts and is related to the ecological system and the social system.
- demonstrate an understanding of the energy policy and market environments and their impact on energy consumption and production.
- demonstrate an understanding of the human dimension of energy systems including managing for change, stakeholder engagement, and customer engagement.
- communicate skillfully through written reports and oral presentations in styles relevant to the energy field.
- utilize critical analysis to understand why the current electricity generation and distribution system evolved and how to move it towards the 21st-century grid.
- Classes are taught by full-time faculty, as well as by part-time faculty who have experiential knowledge in the energy sector.
- We host guest speakers representing many aspects of the industry-government, utilities, NGOs, private firms.
- Evening classes are held at USF’s downtown San Francisco campus at 101 Howard Street. Saturday classes are held at the main campus.
Programme of Study
Students have the option to complete the program in 18 months (full time) or two years (students working full time).
2 YEAR PROGRAM
18 MONTH PROGRAM
* Choose one option. The internship option can be completed in the summer or fall.
** Opportunities for Community Projects (1) will vary throughout the program.
About the School
As one of the country’s premier Jesuit Catholic universities, the College of Arts and Sciences pairs a rigorous academic curriculum with an urban, global perspective. The college's vision of success i ... Read More