What is the key to creating successful, sustainable careers? How can you ensure inclusivity and equality in recruitment and selection? How can organizations effectively manage their human capital, given major disruptions like digitalization and an ageing workforce? What’s the best way to find – and keep – the best possible people in the right jobs? How are contemporary HR challenges different, and how should you address them?
With your Master’s in Business Administration: Human Resource Management (HRM), you won’t just learn the answers to these and other key HRM concerns. You’ll also know how to put them into practice and develop a career of your own. The programme balances quantitative and qualitative research, hands-on experience and direct contact with major corporations to ensure you have the hard and soft skills you need to excel in the world of HRM. At VU Amsterdam, we focus on making sure you have all the tools and support you need to carve your own path to success.
This is what you will be doing
The HRM programme teaches you how to speak both the language of (strategic) HRM and that of the business, and shows you how to apply cutting edge scientific research to make employees thrive and companies more successful, better employers. More and more companies are beginning to realise how crucial recruitment, selection, retention, development and mobility are to business success. We’ll give you the tools to become an invaluable part of any company’s long-term business strategy. In addition to HRM courses, you’ll be able to take electives from other Business Administration specialization programmes.
To break it down:
- You’ll take two mandatory courses:
- The Changing HRM Environment – Learn about how external influences impact on contemporary HRM topics.
- Contemporary Careers & Organisations – Explore the current challenges organisations and individuals face, and learn how to address them.
- You’ll take three elective courses in period 2 and 3; these should include at least two of the following three courses
- Performance Management – Get to know the theory and practice of performance management, appraisals and performance-driven behaviour.
- Recruitment and Selection – Learn how to impact an organisation’s performance with the right recruitment, selection and assessment.
- Talent Development and Analytics – Understand what evidence-based talent development entails, and get the analytical tools to help you deal with HRD. You’ll take a course in Business Ethics in HRM – Address a variety of ethical issues HRM managers and professionals may encounter.
- In your second semester, you’ll learn academic research skills and put them straight into practice by writing your Master’s thesis.
- Whatever your personal career ambitions, you can tailor your Master’s to ensure success. Select from many potential electives and three different types of internships to customise your Master’s. Choose to specialise exclusively in HRM, or generalise your degree with other BA courses from International Management, Leadership & Change Strategy, Management Consulting or Strategy & Organisation.
- You’ll work in teams and with major international organisations, like Deloitte and Booking.com, to address and solve current HRM challenges.
About the School
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is an internationally renowned research university founded in 1880. The university offers over 150 English taught programmes at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level to 23,00 ... Read More