The Art Director is the professional responsible for the design and creation of the scenarios for all types of audiovisual productions. For this, it is essential that you know how to interpret a script, a story, in order to design the fictional universe of a movie. The main objective of this course is to introduce the student to the world of cinematographic artistic direction. The student will know the work process of an art director and will be able to carry out an artistic proposal based on a narrative text. You will also learn to design the aesthetic proposal of a film, the general visual concept to its concretion in a concrete setting and the character design.
To access the master, it is necessary to present a portfolio and carry out a personal interview. Based on the candidate's skills and knowledge, the ESCAC Art department will decide if it requires taking any of the two blocks of the complementary training.
Who is it for?
Graduates and graduates in Architecture, Set Design, Audiovisual Communication, Fine Arts, Art, Design or Art History. Professionals from the cinematographic or videographic sector who want to deepen their knowledge of the direction of cinematographic art.
At the end of the master, the student will be able to:
- Work originality in the development and application of ideas that make up the visual result of the film.
- Create atmospheres that help shape emotion.
- Conceive, design and develop the space, costumes and props for an audiovisual work and adequately transmit the result of the project to the feature film team.
- Coordinate the spatial design of a project: setting, scenery and objects.
- Manage the art budget and the work calendar, seeking the optimization of time and resources.
Theoretical and theoretical-practical classes in the classroom where the student will carry out a work of conceptualization and design.
Practical classes on set or outdoors (real locations), in which the student will carry out the different sets that have been worked on in the classroom.
Masterclasses: Complementary to the main subjects, during the course there are sessions in the form of masterclasses, where different professionals from the audiovisual business share their experience with students.
Introductory blocks for all those students who need to reinforce knowledge about representation systems or basic cinematography concepts. During the selection process for the Master's students, the coordination will decide who should take the training supplements.
Block 1: representation systems
- The drawing process
- Materialization of ideas
- Graphical representation systems and techniques: dihedral, axonometry and perspective
- Representation of spaces: volume, proportions and depth
- Graphic representation, in two and three dimensions, of previously designed spaces
- Initiation to AutoCAD
- Introduction to Sketchup and V-Ray
Block 2: basic knowledge of cinematography
- Script introduction
- Audiovisual narrative: direction
- Introduction to cinematography
- The process of a film: pre-production, production and post-production
Why become part of the ESCAC Community?
You will become part of the ESCAC Community, which will allow you to develop your talent in an environment where creative spaces and interaction between graduates of different promotions are promoted. Did you know that Javier Ruiz Caldera continues to shoot his films with ESCAC colleagues? The same as Juan Antonio Bayona, Mar Coll, Kike Maíllo, Patricia Font ... because ESCAC does not end when you finish your studies, the Community continues in the professional sector.
This is the best time in history to dedicate yourself to Audiovisual: there has never been such a variety of screens at the service of so many users. These screens need content to supply products to a global audience, and consequently, large technology companies invest in audiovisual creation.
ESCAC talent. Graduates with nationally and internationally recognized careers have been trained at our school. Film directors, producers, cinematographers, editors, VFX supervisors ... Look at the credits of the movies and series, you will find in them a lot of ESCAC talent.
Our pedagogical system is based on learning by doing. We want you to learn by doing, and you will do it accompanied by the best professionals in the sector.
At ESCAC we train storytellers. We will teach you to tell your story regardless of the specialty you have chosen.
The works of graduates and the school's producer (ESCAC Films) have been recognized with more than 500 national and international awards:
- Year after year our graduates are among the nominees for the Goya and Gaudí Awards, obtaining 20 Goya Awards and more than 30 Gaudí Awards.
- In addition, they have won important awards at international festivals: Award for Best International Short Film awarded by the Sundance Festival (2006), or third prize at Cinefoundation - awarded by the Cannes Festival (2015).
At ESCAC we have the collaboration of large companies and institutions that participate in the training of our students. Movistar, Department of Culture of the Generalitat de Catalunya, SGAE Foundation, Cinesa, Zeta Cinema, Film Factory, Filmax, Deaplaneta, Mediaset, etc.
International campus: In these 25 years, more than 5,500 students of 23 different nationalities have passed through our campus, which contribute to the cultural and community enrichment.
Our school is recognized by CILECT (an organisation that brings together the best film schools worldwide), and we are the only one in the state with official recognition.
ESCAC trains its students based on transversal competences, providing knowledge and tools to develop a subsequent professional activity in any field of content creation.