Master of Science in Strategic Human Resources Management (MScSHRM) degree is a two-year part time programme made up of courses revolving around three core elements: strategies, globalisation and ethics. On completion of this Executive-level Master programme, graduates will be able to operate as part of a senior management team and provide ethical leadership both to those involved in the functional aspects of HRM and to those directly managing HR at all levels.
- HKBU School of Business is amongst the 1% of business schools worldwide accredited by the three leading international accreditation bodies focused on business education: AACSB, AMBA, and EQUIS.
- As the CIPD Approved Centre, MScSHRM students who have registered as CIPD student members are eligible to achieve the CIPD Level 7 Advanced Certificate in Human Resources qualification and apply for the CIPD Associate membership after graduation.
- This programme is endorsed by the Hong Kong Institute of HRM.
The Programme aims to prepare graduates to:
- exhibit an understanding of strategic and global management as they pertain to human resource management;
- demonstrate state-of-the-art knowledge of human capital management including HR and succession planning, talent management, performance appraisal system, and HR measurements;
- develop strategies for human resources which are capable of influencing corporate decision-making;
- speak the boardroom language on topics of finance, technology, marketing and operations, and perform the role of strategic business partner;
- act as a change agent to manage innovation and human capital;
- design ethical practices that clarify behavioural / professional standards, and create an organisational culture that upholds high coporate governance standards;
- create a cultural bridge between local managers and their counterparts in other parts of the world.
Curriculum / Course Structure
Participants are required to complete a total of 30 credits upon graduation with 9 core courses and 1 elective course.
Core courses (27 credits required)
- Human Resources Management and Business (3 credits)
- Industrial-Organisational Psychology (3 credits)
- Skills for Managing Human Resources (3 credits)
- Strategic Human Resources Management in Practice (3 credits)
- Human Resources Research and Consultancy (3 credits)
- Human Resources Measurement (3 credits)
- Leadership and Innovation (3 credits)
- Ethics, Culture, and Governance (3 credits)
- Consultancy Project (3 credits)
Elective courses* (3 credits required)
- International Human Resources Management (3 credits)
- Current Employment Practices in China (3 credits)
* The Department reserves the right not to offer any given elective course in any academic year.
Acquire information in the global business environment with emphasis on professional contexts in HRM and international HRM standards.
Lead by internationally renowned HRM experts, many of whom have written outstanding books, have offered consulting services and executive training programmes to multinational and local companies.
Action Learning Approach
Learn in an interactive environment to solve real-life problems that involves taking action, developing practical and creative strategies to deal with pressing issues.
Comprise lectures, web-based learning, group discussions, presentations, field projects, coursework, library and internet research, guest speakers, and case studies.
Professional HR Network
Provide a central location for resources, information, and communication opportunities to better connect with the HR industry.
Prepare students to attain the HRM certification examination in the PRC （人力資源管理師資格認證考試）. Qualify for membership in the following professional associations:
- The Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management (HKIHRM)
- The Hong Kong People Management Association (HKPMA)
- The International Institute of Management
- The Institute of Training Professionals
Offer on a two-year part-time basis with classes on weekends. Classes are scheduled on both Saturdays and Sundays, from 9:00 am – 5:30 pm. A typical course involves 4-day class contact.
Small-class teaching to ensure maximum interaction between participants and instructor.
- A good Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognised university or comparable institution, or an equivalent professional qualification in Human Resources Management; OR
- A postgraduate diploma in Human Resources Management from a recognised institution;
- Applicants should have work experience in a supervisory, managerial or professional role for preferably a minimum of five years.
- Applicants with other post-secondary qualifications (e.g. diploma in HRM) and at least 10 years of work experience, including 3 years in professional and managerial capacity, will also be considered on an individual and exceptional basis.
Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants graduated from an institution where the medium of instruction is not English must achieve the following English proficiency requirement:
- TOEFL: 550 (paper-based),79 (internet-based); OR
- IELTS (Academic): Overall band score of 6.5.
About the School
For more than half a century, Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has been at the vanguard of business education in Asia, molding generations of business leaders. Steeped in a tradition of academic ex ... Read More