In 2017, the travel and tourism industry contributed roughly 8.27 trillion USD to the global economy. This industry includes a wide range of sectors such as hospitality and hotels, in the broad sense, entertainment, attractions, operators of all kinds, distributors and in particular new digital players, transportation services such as cruise lines, casinos, amusement parks, official bodies that support the tourism development, and consultants.
Due to the intricacies of the industry, students must take a sectorial marketing approach when operating in this field. The Master of Science in Tourism Marketing and Management (T2M) will train competent executives who understand the challenges behind internationalization of a brand and digitalization both in the marketing approach and distribution.
The T2M program will teach students how to implement a strategic marketing plan for key players in hospitality, tourism, and travel. Students will build new applications of data and connected objects in these areas while exploring opportunities for new business models.
Students will be asked to pitch distribution solutions that optimize e-commerce, following the new trends of tomorrow’s consumers.
Students will also learn how to set up an appropriate distribution strategy adapting to the new consumer, and they will be challenged to couple the quality of the traditional individual relationship and experiential marketing with rigorous and cost-effective methods of mass marketing.
The MSc program will help students understand the challenges and complexities of new business models resulting from new technologies. Job creation in the areas of marketing and management can be found within all layers of the tourism industry: large groups: Accor Hotel (works leader in hotel chains), Shangri La (luxury palaces), Lucien Barrière (casinos and hotels), Booking, Expedia (global leaders of electronic booking), World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), Club Med (all-inclusive tourism communication agencies); medium companies: privatetravel.com, Egencia (independent web travel companies), Honotel (hospitality investment specialist); and small structures:Char Hotel Group (web presence), incoming tour operators, travel agencies and destination management consultants.
With its campus located in the heart of Paris, students will experience the French “savoir-faire” in organizing and managing the tourism industry. By living and studying in Paris, students will understand different actors: travel agencies, tourism boards, departmental tourism offices, regional tourism offices, international actors and the role of the chamber of commerce. Home to UNESCO, Paris redefines culture and preserves its world heritage.
- As competition in this sector advances, traditional hotel chains must respond to the new demands; using Accor Hotels as a case study, students will develop a financial module considering the specificities of revenue management, pricing, distribution, and key performance indicators.
- The T2M program covers destination marketing and the paradigm shift within the tourism sector, through relationship marketing and one-to-one, students will learn how to transition from product orientation (tourism packages) to customer orientation (experience).
- Integration into the SM2 Cluster in which students learn how to analyse products and services within a specific market, communicate to consumers relevant information about products and services, how to distribute products or offer services in a given market and how to plan and develop concepts of products or services with the framework of new business models.
- Relating the French regional approach to tourism in the development of world-wide niche markets such as medical, wellness, event, business and dark tourism.
- Understanding the evolutions in the global economy and specificities of the tourism, hospitality and travel sectors.
- Acquiring an expertise on today's and tomorrow's challenges specific to the tourism market, with an understanding of the actors of the sector and its ecosystem; management of the new appropriate technologies for the internationalization and digitization of the tourism market.
- Students in Business, Management, Humanities or Arts
- Students motivated to pursue a career in Marketing or Management with a keen interest or desire to work in the tourism industry
The T2M program adopts an operational approach in its pedagogy. As the name suggests, the program follows a tri-fold approach focusing on tourism, marketing, and management.
The Master of Science in Tourism Marketing & Management is composed of the following elements:
- General education courses in Multicultural Management, Business Strategy, Leadership and HR, Financial Control and International Marketing
- Specialized marketing courses taught by academics in the fields of Innovation Marketing, Consumer Behavior, Relationship Marketing, and Data Analytics
- Specialized courses taught by professionals in the fields of Tourism, Hospitality, Travel, Destination Marketing, and Digital Tools and Connected Objects
- Electives taking place in Toulouse, Paris, Casablanca, Barcelona, and London
- TBS permanent faculty who couple their teaching methodology with current research
- Industry professionals working in hotel groups such as Accor Hotels, and entrepreneurs in niche tourism
- Visiting professors from top universities in France and abroad
General Education courses:
- Multicultural Management & Cross-cultural Teamwork
- Reshaping Business Operations to Define Efficiency
- Unlocking the Leader in You
- Designing the Value Offering in an International Context
- Investigating What Drives Performance
- French Language Courses
Specialized Marketing courses:
- Innovation Marketing: From Idea to Value Creation
- Understanding the New Consumer
- Relationship Marketing and Exchange Evolutions
- Understanding the new international landscape of tourism
- Defining the joint value offering between public and private players in tourism
- Exploring business management in hospitality
- Managing digital tools and connected objects in tourism
- Academic requirements: 4 year Bachelor degree*
- Language requirements:
- English mother tongue, or
- Bachelor degree taught in English, or
- TOEFL IBT 80 / IELTS 6.5 / TOEIC 800 / FCE
*For students with a 3 year Bachelor degree, it is possible to take the MSc MILES(link is external) program in advance, and on completion of which students can enter to the MSc SCALE program
4-step application process:
- Complete online application
- Submit supporting documents
- Take virtual interview
- Wait for admission results
Hotels and hotel chains:
- Assistant Director
- Yield Revenue Manager
- Marketing and e-Marketing Manager
- Communications Manager
Online or mortar travel agencies & tour operators:
- Agency Manager
- Product Manager
- Web Marketing Manager
- Area/Product Manager
- Branch Manager
Global tourism industry:
- Environmental and Green Labels Management
- Development of Equitable Tourism
- New Business Development
- Events Managers
- Brand Manager
"TBS holds strong positions in the well-recognized business school rankings as well as triple accreditation from EQUIS, AACSB, and AMBA. The teaching staff is experienced and knowledgeable and the environment is friendly and lively. TBS is undoubtedly the choice to make." Karina MUKHANOVA (Russia), MSc Marketing 2016
Program taught in: