The MSc Project Management programme will equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to successfully manage projects in a variety of industries and contexts. You will learn about all aspects of how to effectively plan, implement, control and monitor, and handover projects of various sizes and complexities in a highly competitive global marketplace.
You will gain essential skills in the management of stakeholders’ expectations, risk management and quality assurance on projects. The programme will teach you from both a practical and theoretical standpoint, how project management can be used as a tool to help grow business and achieve strategic objectives in an organisational setting.
The programme caters to the needs of experienced professionals as well as those who are at the beginning of their career in a project management-related role, through the acquisition of necessary skills and knowledge in a technology-embedded learning environment. It will serve as a pathway for you to achieve highly sought-after certifications in project management.
This is a practice-based degree with the objective of preparing you for the booming project management job market in China and beyond, though it can also serve as a base for further academic study.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System）in 2016 and 2018 respectively.
AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation.
The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritive and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS has become the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
Why Should I Study Project Management at XJLTU?
The MSc Project Management programme:
- provides skills with universal relevance, skills you can utilize to shape the strategic direction of the company as an advisor to leaders across a large variety of industries worldwide
- is designed around the globally recognised standards and frameworks such as PMI, IPMA, APM and GPM
- serves as a path to professional certifications from PMI, IPMA, APM and GPM
- offers fully integrated MS Project software training with 24/7 access to the software
- has a balanced structure that ensures quality of education and provides cutting-edge industry relevant project management skills.
Knowledge and skills
The MSc Project Management programme will equip you with:
- Understanding of the role of project management and the project manager in the life of a project
- Knowledge of the components, processes, tools and techniques in the project management discipline as well as the interactions between these elements
- Knowledge of leadership and management concepts for effective management of projects undertaken locally or across international borders
- Critical understanding of project management theory and applications
- Skills in how to initiate, plan, execute, control, lead, evaluate and close projects to deliver an agreed scope within time, budget and quality constraints.
- Skills in the application of a range of techniques to determine, document and refine project goals, performance requirements, deliverables, constraints and risks as well as using project schedules, resource budgeting and quality in the lifecycle of a project.
- Fundamentals of Project Management
- Project Risk Management
- Strategic Business Analysis
- Project Stakeholder Management
- Project Leadership and Governance
- Dissertation/consultancy capstone project
- Strategic Purchasing Management
- Strategic Organisational Design
- Entrepreneurship and Business Creation
- Social Commerce
- and others
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Some mandatory additional learning activities are given below. Please check the programme specifications for a complete list of ALAs and related requirements.
- Introduction to research methods I
- Introduction to research methods II
- Chinese stage I (for international students)
- Chinese stage II (for international students)
- Project management software training.
China is at the forefront of countries which require highly developed project management skills that contribute towards economic development and GDP growth. This means there is a continuous and strong demand for professionals with training in project management.
Suzhou, Shanghai and Wuxi are important hubs of business and economic activities and we expect to see a high demand for people with project management skills across various industries in these hubs and more widely across Asia and beyond.
Graduates may work in industries such as e-commerce, oil and gas, software, IT, construction, airlines, retail and manufacturing.
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in finance, accounting, economics, management, science or engineering.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 16, 2018