Accredited by the Chartered Banker Institute, this course aims to bring you the latest knowledge about banking, financial markets and risk in the financial sector.
The Business School's research has been awarded Centre of Excellence status by the Chartered Banker Institute (CBI) and on this course, you will be joined by leading industry experts who will share their experiences of the financial world.
This course is ideal for those wanting to pursue a career in the financial markets department of an international bank before moving into a high-level managerial position.
It will enable you to develop skills in the analysis of financial institutions and instruments, markets, consumer demands and competition, and provide you with a conceptual and theoretical grounding in current concepts and techniques in banking, policy, economics and risk management and associated areas.
You will also be introduced to a range of empirical techniques enabling you to analyse industrial dynamics, the impact of innovation on performance, and the impact of regulation and policy interventions on banking and finance in corporations. The modules you will take consider international aspects of banking and finance and you will be able to analyse your chosen country for the summer dissertation.
'Pursuing my masters in the UK has always been my dream and I chose the University of Nottingham for a combination of factors. Its positioning in the world rankings and the diverse combination of business subjects on offer were striking features. The course has the right combination of banking and is also accredited by the Chartered Banker Institute.'
Maria Theresa Famila, MSc Banking and Finance
Academic English preperation and support
If you require additional support to take your language skills to the required level, you may be able to attend a presessional course at the Centre for English Language Education, which is accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK. Students who successfully complete the presessional course to the required level can progress to postgraduate study without retaking IELTS or equivalent.
Specialist business and management courses are available and you could be eligible for a joint offer, which means you will only need to apply for your visa once. Students who enter via the CELE route are exempt from paying the school's £2,000 course deposit. For more details, please contact us.
- This course is accredited by the Chartered Banker Institute, the gold standard for banking professionals
- This course is delivered by the Centre for Risk, Banking and Financial Services
- Part of an elite group of EQUIS and AMBA accredited business schools
- 6th in the UK for research power in the latest Research Excellence Framework, with teaching underpinned by the latest developments
- An inspiring research portfolio worth £799m
- 91.1% of MSc graduates from Nottingham University Business School secured work, self-employment or further study within six months of graduation
- More than 19,000 Business School alumni connect you to a powerful global network of business contacts
Across the autumn and spring semesters, you will take 120 credits of taught modules. Each module typically consists of 10 two to three hour sessions.
You will complete a 60-credit dissertation over the summer, and will be allocated an appropriate dissertation supervisor who will oversee your progress.
You will be assessed through a combination of individual assignments or group projects and written exams.
- Bank Theory, Operations and Management
- Consumers, Ethics and Regulation in Finance
- Corporate Financial Strategy
- Research Methods for Banking
- Financial Security Valuation
- Quantitative Research Methods for Banking
- Bank Risk Measurement and Management
- Quantitative Risk Management
- Behavioural Economics and Decision Making
- Central Banking Theory and Practice
- Contemporary Issues in Banking
- Islamic Banking, Finance and Accounting
The modules we offer are inspired by the research interests of our staff and as a result may change for reasons of, for example, research developments or legislation changes. This list is an example of typical modules we offer, not a definitive list.
This course is accredited by the Chartered Banker Institute, the gold standard for banking professionals.
- finance and investment analysts
- higher education teaching professionals
- investment bankers
- IT business analysts
- management consultants
- marketing professionals
- public relations professionals
- university researchers
Postgraduate careers team
Our in-house Postgraduate Careers Team provides expert advice and guidance so that you can make an informed decision about the right career path for you.
As soon as you have accepted your offer of a place at the Business School, we can begin working with you to support your career planning needs. You can take part in pre-course careers discussions and take advantage of remote and online support through Career Leader, an online assessment tool which helps you to measure your business interests and motivations before starting your course. Our support continues throughout your time at Nottingham and after you graduate.
Employability and average starting salary
91.1% of postgraduates from Nottingham University Business School who were available for employment secured work or further study within six months of graduation. £25,000 was the average starting salary, with the highest being £57,200.*
* Known destinations of full-time home postgraduates 2016/17. Salaries are calculated based on the median of those in full-time paid employment within the UK.
Career and professional development
Whether you are looking to enhance your career prospects or develop your knowledge, a postgraduate degree from the University of Nottingham can help take you where you want to be.
Our award-winning Careers and Employability Service offers specialist support and guidance while you study and for life after you graduate. They will help you explore and plan your next career move, through regular events, employer-led skills sessions, placement opportunitiesand one-to-one discussions.
2.1 (or international equivalent) in accounting, business, management, finance, economics, or econometrics. Outstanding degrees in any discipline will be considered. One of mathematics; quantitative research methods; statistics; econometrics; computational finance or operational research module to have been studied in the final two years of the degree. Personal statement and a list of modules being studied in the final year (for applicants who have not yet completed their undergraduate degree).
English language requirements
IELTS: 6.5 (no less than 6.0 in any element)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 2, 2018