Why this course?
You’ll learn all about the fundamental principles of economic analysis. You'll also gain the skills to apply insights obtained from these principles in particular context such as:
- acquiring and analysing information
- supporting decision-making
- policy-making in private and public sector organisations
The course is suitable for those intending to develop their careers in areas such as economics, banking, energy, central and local government, charities and management.
If you're already working in one of these areas, the course will enhance your effectiveness by developing skills in data analysis, decision-making, policy formation and communication.
Aims & objectives
The programme will provide you with:
- a good understanding of the micro and macroeconomic theory
- experience in the application of relevant economic theory to policy development and decision making in public and private sector organisations
- an appreciation of the nature and functioning of markets, institutions and policy-making environments that condition and shape policy choices
- a good working knowledge of statistical and econometric modelling techniques that support analysis and decision-making
- skills in the methods and techniques of economic appraisal of projects and programmes
There are two semesters of core and elective modules, followed by a dissertation.
- Foundations of Microeconomics
- Further Topics in Microeconomics
- Macroeconomics for the Business Environment
- Macroeconomics for the Global Business Environment
- Analysis of Economic Data
- Quantitative Methods
- Principles of Economic Appraisal
- Economic Appraisal of Programmes & Policies
You must choose four modules from the list below. You can substitute two modules for classes offered elsewhere in the Business School. You'll choose from:
- Fundamentals of Business Economics
- International Trade & Policy
- Games of Strategy
- Environmental Economics
- Energy Economics
Dissertation topics can be chosen from within the broad range of issues covered on the programme.
A good Honours degree, or overseas equivalent.
For students whose first language is not English, get more information about the English language requirements for studying at Strathclyde.
Pre-Masters preparation course
The Pre-Masters Programme is a preparation course for international students (Non-EU/UK) who do not meet the entry requirements for a Masters degree at University of Strathclyde. The Pre-Masters programme provides progression to a number of degree options.
To find out more about the courses and opportunities on offer visit isc.strath.ac.uk or call today on +44 (0) 1273 339333 and discuss your education future. You can also complete the online application form. To ask a question please fill in the enquiry form and talk to one of our multi-lingual Student Enrolment Advisers today.
The MSc in Applied Economics builds on our experience over many years in delivering classes that produce highly employable graduates. The course has been designed with employers' needs in mind, with design input from those who employ our graduates.
Where are they now?
Economists have excellent employment prospects and are amongst the most sought after postgraduates. Some examples of the kinds of work our graduates do are provided in the following list.
Job titles include:
- Economists in investment banking and other bank departments
- Central Bank economists
- Economics statisticians
- Officials in regulatory agencies
- Commercial/business analysts with multinational companies and large organisations (such as health authorities)
- Economic, investment and management consultancies
- Economic assistance in government departments or agencies
- Academic posts, such as research assistants/fellows and lecturers in university and research institutes
- Managerial positions in charitable organisations
- Managerial and chartered accountants
- Analysts and Financial Advisers
- Energy Analysts and Economists
- Health managers and economists
- Business and Corporate Management
- Economists and other officials in Environmental Protection Agencies and NGOs
- Local government and Development Agency officials
About the School
Strathclyde Business School(SBS)is a pioneering, internationally renowned academic organisation that shapes anddevelops the business minds of tomorrow. Strathclyde is one of a small percentage worldwi ... Read More