The MRes Molecular Bioscience programme provides a thorough understanding of the key approaches for studying biological processes at the molecular level.
The programme combines biotechnology-related topics such as molecular biology, protein biochemistry and drug discovery, with modules on post-genomic biology and bioinformatics.
With a major focus on project management and advanced research skills, the programme offers you the chance to undertake an in-depth research project and specialised dissertation. Your studies will be guided by a customised learning plan, taking into account your background, interests and career aspirations.
The Department of Biological Sciences has internationally respected investigators and excellent teaching and laboratory infrastructure.
Why Should I Study Molecular Bioscience At XJTLU?
- Learn from international academic staff with opportunities to work with them to carry out world-class research in a dynamic, transnational environment;
- Gain a solid foundation to pursue PhD programmes in high-quality international and Chinese universities;
- Benefit from XJTLU's strategic location near many biotechnology companies in BioBay, a national biotechnology hub with more than 400 companies with the opportunity for internships;
- Enjoy prestigious scientific symposia, conferences and summer schools at the nearby Cold Spring Harbor Asia, giving you the chance to interact with world-famous researchers;
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MRes Molecular Bioscience programme, you will have:
- key transferable skills relevant to a range of careers and industries, such as data analysis, report writing, team building and networking, and project management;
- specialised knowledge in an area of molecular biology that suits your interests and career ambitions;
- a range of critical interdisciplinary research skills and a strong understanding of the theoretical background and practical implementation of an intensive research project.
"The programme was more difficult but much more fun than I could have imagined. I realise this, really, is the joy of conducting scientific research."
Student, MRes Molecular Bioscience, China
Expand/collapse this section
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your master's degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
ALAs offered include:
- Personal and employability skills
- Laboratory rotation
- English language modules
- Chinese language classes for non-native speakers
- Graduate teaching assistantship
- PowerPoint presentation
- Data recording and collection, Lab Book
- Research project progress report
Other appropriate academic activities are also available, such as participation in level three undergraduate modules and the Department's research seminar series.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for advanced research careers in both international and Chinese university settings, as well as in the bio-industrial sector in areas such as biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. The programme also provides a solid foundation for pursuing a PhD.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18-month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 per cent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case, a discount of five per cent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 per cent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 per cent or above
- Non 211 project; Non-Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% per cent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme.
- Equivalent academic qualifications.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a life science-related discipline.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.0 (minimum of 5.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 80
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to email@example.com to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
"Our MRes programme was designed for research-oriented students looking to progress to high-calibre PhD study in molecular bioscience or employment in the biotechnology industry."
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the apply link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More