«Sustainable Development and Strategic Management in Energy» Master’s Programme(with the graduates majoring in Management) is run jointly with St Andrews University, one of the oldest and leading British universities that, during its six hundred years long history, has won the reputation of a world-class educational and research centre.
The Programme provides a unique opportunity for five Russian and five British master students to become experts both in sustainable energy and strategic management in energy. The graduates receive two diplomas and two master degrees: St Andrews University diploma in sustainable development (Master of Arts in Sustainable Development) and MGIMO University diploma in management (Master of Arts in Management).
The new Master's Programme has an original format, that includes two distinct year-long components: Sustainable Development and Strategic Management in Energy. The first academic year is devoted to sustainable development and is held at St. Andrews. The second academic year is held at MIEP MGIMO at the Master's programme in Management, which includes disciplines in strategic management in energy.
The Master’s Programme can be joined by persons who have a BA degree or a specialist diploma, who are interested in getting a fundamental education in the field of sustainable development and strategic management in energy, and who are inclined to research through independent analysis.
The term of the Programme is two years.
The Programme is taught in English.
During the first year the master students are trained at St Andrews University, Scotland, and during the second year – at MGIMO University, Moscow, Russia.
The students prepare two master’s theses in English. The first thesis on sustainable development shall be prepared after the first year of training at St Andrews University and the second thesis on strategic management - after the second year of training at MGIMO-University of the MFA of the Russian Federation.
Graduates of the programme are in high demand from employers in business and industry, particularly with major oil and gas international companies.
The fact that students concurrently acquire knowledge and competencies in the area of sustainable development and strategic management in energy makes the Programme unique. It offers speciality courses delivered by the leading experts from MGIMO and St. Andrews.
The programme is designed to introduce students to the subject area of strategic energy management in the context of sustainable development of energy resources, the complexities that arise in seeking sustainable development in theory and practice, and how sustainable development may be pursued in managing the energy sector. The overall goal of the Programme is to enable students to think strategically about managing businesses in the energy sector on the principals of sustainable development.
Basic Course Structure
- International Management: Topical Issues
- International Marketing
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate and Strategic Governance in Energy
- Management and Marketing in Energy Sector
- Research in Management
- Competitive Strategies of International Energy Companies
- Energy Sector: Cross-Cultural Communications
- Foreign Language
- Economy of Russia, Project Management, and Investments in Energy Sector
- Companies and Off-shores in Energy Sector
- Brand Management and PR in Energy Sector
- Project Financing
- Trade Policy and Its Instruments
- Russia and EU: Energy Policy and Diplomacy
- Organisation Theory and Organisational Behavior
- Oil and Gas Sector Business Development Strategies
- Strategies for Oil and Oil Products Commodities Exchange Trade
- Financial Management in Energy Sector
- Foreign Language
- International Project Management in Energy Sector
- Foreign Language in Energy Sector
Final State Exams and Master Theses Defence
Admissions Information and Requirements
The students shall be enrolled in the programme after submitting their dossiers (sets of documents). The documents must be submitted before April 30, 2018. The set must contain the following documents:
- Essay of motivation
- Two recommendations from professors
- Written work (essay) of thousand words
- Transcript of ratings
- IELTS results (not lower than 7qpts for the exam and not lower than 6.5 qpts for each element) or TOEFL results (not lower than 100 points).
Selection results shall be made public as the enrollment progresses.
Tuition: year one — at St Andrews University rates (about 16, 000 pounds), year two — at MGIMO rates (7,500 Euros).
Programme academic supervisor: Valery I. Salygin, Director, International Institute of Energy Policy and Diplomacy (MIEP MGIMO) at MGIMO-University of the MFA of Russia; Professor, International Energy Issues Department, MIEP MGIMO; Vice President, International Fuel and Energy Development Academy.
Programme coordinator: Ivanova Lada.
- Tel.: +7 (499)431-66-63
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact person on documents submission issues: Dmitry Yu. Zhuvakin, Deputy Director, MIEP MGIMO.
Program taught in: