The MA TESOL programme will provide you with the opportunity to develop both a scholarly and practical understanding of the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
The programme is suitable for language teachers, teacher trainers, educational materials writers and test designers who wish to further develop their range of professional skills and knowledge.
You will study in a dynamic, international environment with students from around the world and learn from highly experienced academic staff.
Why Should I Study TESOL at XJTLU?
- Study in an international environment with academic staff and students from around the world;
- Benefit from XJTLU's location of Suzhou, one of the most economically and culturally vibrant places in China;
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MA TESOL, you will have:
- An advanced understanding of key issues, theories and practices in the field of English language teaching and the connections between theory and practice;
- Sound knowledge of the language in context and the ability to explore the implications of language analysis for teaching purposes;
- An understanding of current methodology as it is embodied in classroom practice;
- The ability to engage with theories underlying current views on language learning, including the importance of individual differences amongst learners in their abilities and learning preferences;
- Skills to conduct academic research.
"I find that when I prepare for classes, I can always draw on what I have learned from the programme and apply those things."
Alumna, MA TESOL, China
- Linguistics for Language Teachers
- Methods in English Language Teaching
- Principles of Course and Materials Design
- Second Language Acquisition
- Language Testing and Assessment
- Speaking and Listening
- Research Methods
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your master's degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared to start or advance their career in the field of English language teaching. In China, a postgraduate qualification in TESOL is increasingly sought-after by educational institutions. Graduates may also gain employment in publishing or materials development, and management positions. The programme offers a solid foundation for further study for those interested in pursuing an MPhil, MRes, EdD or PhD.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18-month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 per cent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case, a discount of five per cent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 per cent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 per cent or above
- Non 211 project; Non-Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% per cent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme.
- Equivalent academic qualifications.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in a relevant field such as English, linguistics, or education and literature. No teaching experience is required, but some relevant teaching experience at the secondary or tertiary level would be an advantage.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 7.0 (minimum of 6.0 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 100 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
"In our MA TESOL programme, the latest research, practical skills and real-world experience will prepare you to inspire the next generation of English learners. Earn your UK degree in China, the country with the world’s largest number of English learners!"
Rining Wei (Acting Director)
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the apply link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to email@example.com(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More