With the rise of China as a global economic power, there is an increasing demand among organisations and companies from around the world for professionals with knowledge of China’s political, economic and social systems, who can also speak Chinese.
The MA China Studies provides you with in-depth knowledge of China’s history, politics, society and economy, in order to equip you with a comprehensive understanding of China’s complex socio-economic system.
This knowledge will give you unique and important insights, as well as language training in Mandarin critical to operating and decision-making in the Chinese context.
Why Should I Study China Studies at XJLTU?
- Learn from international experts who will introduce you to varying perspectives on China from different disciplinary backgrounds, including politics, history, economy, literature, sociology and more;
- Experience China firsthand and take advantage of XJTLU's strategic location in Suzhou - one of the most culturally and economically vibrant places in the country;
- Benefit from our research ties with key universities in China’s Jiangnan region (including Shanghai, and Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces), providing opportunities for you to spend a period of study at another university;
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree.
Knowledge and Skills
By the time you graduate from the MA China Studies, you will have:
- Comprehensive knowledge of China’s history, culture, society, politics, and economy, as well as of China’s regional, technological and social policy development;
- Strong research and analytical skills, having completed a comprehensive research project and dissertation in your final semester;
- Chinese language skills, depending on the individual's starting level and goals.
|Semester one||Semester two||Semester three|
Additional learning activity modules
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your master's degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester.
Possible activities include:
- Chinese language classes
- The study period in China studies at another Chinese university
- Internships with industry
Graduates from this programme pursue careers in a diverse range of companies and organisations looking to deal with or operate in China in fields such as international business, technology, media, health, government, diplomacy, journalism, education, and development. Particularly for international graduates, the China expertise and ability to speak Chinese gained during the programme will enhance career prospects in whichever field they operate in.
RMB 90,000 for the entire 18-month full-time programme.
University tuition fees cover the cost of your study with us.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 per cent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case, a discount of five per cent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 per cent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 per cent or above
- Non 211 project; Non-Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% per cent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme.
- Equivalent academic qualifications.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in any discipline.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 7.0 in all sections
- TOEFL iBT: 100
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to email@example.com to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
"This unique interdisciplinary master's program on China Studies emphasizes approaches from both humanities and social sciences. Taught by a team of researchers who are leading experts in their fields, this program also attracts an internationally diverse student body."
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the apply link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More