Robotic technology and cyber-physical systems are widely applied in different ways, such as industrial machines, automobiles, (micro)-electric industries, as well as aerospace and air transport industries. The M.Sc. Robotic Systems Engineering (RoboSys) at the RWTH Aachen University addresses specifically the purposes of the practicing mechanical engineer. The program is tailored for robotic specialists and provides an outstanding education at the interface between mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer sciences. The program features two main themes:
- The optimal application of robots
- The development and construction of new robotic systems
- work at companies such as Anvis, BASF, Continental, Fiat, Ford, Kautex, Liebherr, Rolls Royce, Toyota, Volkswagen.
- find a job within 3 months after graduation (about 68%)
- increase their salary by up to 100% (about 53 %).
Bridging gaps between engineering disciplines, this Master’s degree program offers students a unique learning environment and a multidisciplinary education that will enable them to develop innovative and intelligent robotic solutions and systems with the aim to meet today's most pressing global challenges: industrial productivity, energy efficiency, environmental responsibility, health care issues, and mobility services. Students can choose the “academic track” or the “industrial track” in the last semester of their studies to conduct research projects or take part in internship programs. The Master Thesis concludes the four-semester study program to be awarded the Master of Science degree from the RWTH Aachen University.
This Master’s degree program is a two-year (4 semesters) full-time study program worth 120 credit points. Main topics in the curriculum are computer vision, multibody dynamics, machine learning, advanced robot kinematics and dynamics, simulation, robotic sensor systems, advanced machine learning, mechatronics, and control techniques for production plants, automation technology for production systems, technology management, and industrial logistics.
Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning
The M.Sc. Robotic Systems Engineering is an interdisciplinary specialized program led by the Department of Mechanism Theory and Dynamics of Machines at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. Following this interdisciplinary approach, lectures and courses are furthermore offered by departments from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, the Faculty of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Natural Sciences, as well as the School of Business and Economics at the RWTH Aachen University.
Academic Requirements for RoboSys
- Bachelor of Engineering or Science in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline, such as Automotive, Aerospace or Energy Engineering, Manufacturing, Structural, Industrial or Production Engineering, awarded by an internationally recognized university-level institution.
- Good performance in your undergraduate studies.
- Fundamental knowledge in the following subjects: Mathematics, Numerical Mathematics, Physics, Mechanics, Machine Design, Electronics, Material Sciences, Thermodynamics, Manufacturing Technology, Structural Design, Computer-aided Design. Furthermore in Informatics, Software Techniques, Programming, Sensor Techniques, FEM, Multi-Body Simulation, Control Engineering, Simulation Methods, Mechatronics
- 2-Year program (4 semesters)
- 120 Credit points
- Master of Science - M.Sc. (RWTH)
- Fees: 4,900 EUR per semester
- Start: Every year in October
- Application Deadline: 1 March of each year for international students and 15 July for EU/ German students
- Application Portal:
About the School
Aachen(Aix-La-Chapelle), the westernmost city in Germany, accommodates not only the Aachen Cathedral, designated UNESCO World Heritage Site, but also one of Germany’s Universities of Excellence.