Mission -- Master program MSc. Geoinformatics
Our goal is to train students in the most advanced techniques in geographic information processing. Building on a B.Sc. in Geoinformatics or a related discipline, the Masters Programme will further develop the students‘ problem-solving skills, analytic abilities and teach progressive creative scientific research methods. As the Institute for Geoinformatics is among the leading places exploring new frontiers grounds in geospatial information science, Master students have the chance to get personally involved in research projects.
This opens opportunities to conduct Master theses on new and emerging technologies. Obtaining a Master‘s degree from the Institute for Geoinformatics will prepare for leading positions in industry and academics.
You should study Geoinformatics in Münster, because…
- Your studies are concentrated on education in Geoinformatics and geographic information science instead of focusing on geographic information systems.
- You will receive your education at one of the leading Geoinformatics institutes within Europe.
- You will learn scientific methods in a practice-oriented way, due to the close link between education and research projects.
- The Master's program is in English, creating an international learning environment for international students and teachers.
- Münster is among the most liveable cities worldwide. (LivCom award 2004)
- The University of Münster with its 40000 students studying in a wide range of about 120 disciplines offers a vivid and colorful environment. Examples are the university sports centre and the international meeting point „Die Brücke“.
- The number of students per semester is limited. This results in small courses and strong interaction with teachers and researchers at the institute.
Unique selling points of the Masters Programme are
- Performance in the English language
- Basing on a Bachelors Programme in Geoinformatics
- Concentration on education in Geoinformatics and geospatial information science instead of focussing on geographic information systems.
Therefore, the graduates of the new study programs will continue in having a competitive advantage in the job market.
Application Procedure - Master Programme in Geoinformatics
Applications in the English language are to be submitted
- digitally and as
- paper version of a signed cover letter
All official documents must be included as certified copies in English or German, AND in the original language. Deadlines:
- from early December up to January 15th for the following summer semester
- from early June up to July 15th for the following winter semester
Formal criteria for admission
All applicants applying to the Masters Programme in Geoinformatics will be assessed against the following formal admission criteria:
-- A maximum of 32 students will be admitted each year (winter semester and summer semester together). The general entry requirements are defined by the respective national and state laws for Higher Education in Germany.
-- All applicants must have an adequate Bachelor degree based on six semesters full-time studies (= 180 ECTS credit points) or more, recognized in Germany for admission to graduate studies. The Examination board decides on the equivalence of other degrees.
-- All applicants who are not of English mother tongue have to present a TOEFL certificate with a minimum of 550 points (paper-based), or an equivalent qualification for English.
Applicants will have to comply with the admission procedure:
--Complete and correct personal information
-- Complete and certified supporting documents:
- Bachelor diploma including a grade transcript of records in English or German copy
- if applicable: Documentation of time spent abroad, working or other experience, certified (translated into English or German) copy
- Motivation letter for the Master's degree program
- European format CV
- Reference letters (minimum of 2)
- Proof of nationality (certified copy of passport)
- Passport photo
- List of reference names
- Other (if applicable)