The Faculty of Social Science, Hong Kong Baptist University offers two research-based degrees, namely Master of Philosophy (MPhil), & Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Our PhD students are supervised by a Department-based scholar and choose additional supervisors from the same or other Departments, or other universities.
Our Global Distinctiveness
- Emphasis on trans-disciplinary problem-solving.
- Global diversity. Our current and recent graduates come from Hong Kong, China, and a further 14 countries across Asia, Europe, Africa and North America.
- Financial and professional support for conference participation and overseas placements.
- Caring and cohesive graduate community. Our students have an effective voice in Faculty governance, and network with/ learn from peers from across our social sciences disciplines, all housed in one building.
- Opportunities to take courses and attend lecture across Hong Kong's universities and to access data and field across China and South East Asia.
- A flexible range of funding models including government scholarships, Faculty scholarships, and Department scholarship
Applicants seeking admission to the PhD programme have a good bachelor's degree with honours from a recognized university or an equivalent qualification. For the PhD programme, applicants have either a master's degree or a strong bachelor's degree from a recognised university/institution.
For the conferment of PhD degree, students are required to take coursework, complete an approved programme of supervised research, present the findings of their research in a thesis or dissertation, and pass the oral examination of the written thesis.
One Faculty Seven Departments
Our academic expertise lies with academic staff in our seven departments. They conduct a wide range of research study covering different specialisations.
- Master of Philosophy (Department of Education Studies)
- Master of Philosophy (Department of Geography)
- Master of Philosophy (Department of Government and International Studies)
- Master of Philosophy (Department of History)
- Master of Philosophy (Department of Sport, Physical Education & Health)
- Master of Philosophy (Department of Social Work)
- Master of Philosophy (Department of Sociology)
Reasons for Choosing Hong Kong as a Study Destination
1.Be part of the “Chinese Adventure” with a Western heritage
2.Learning Chinese language and culture
3.Exciting and vibrant city with lots to do
4.Many multinational corporations based in Hong Kong
5.Window to China
6.Gateway to Southeast Asia
Scholarships - Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
HK$25,800 (approx. US$3,300) monthly/
HK$309,600 (approx. US$39,600) annually
Tuition Waiver/ Scholarship*
HK$42,100 (around US$5,400) per year for each of the 4 years of studies
Conference and Research-related Travel Allowance
HK$12,900 (approx. US$1,650) per year for a maximum of three years plus the University’s provision of HK$20,000 (approx. US$2,560) for the entire study period
*Subject to satisfactory academic progress
- Full-time: 48 months
- Part-time: 72 months
For September 2021 Intake: 1 December 2020 (Applications received after 1 December 2020 will be considered for admission in September 2021.)
Information for Non-local Applicants
The Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government requires all full-time non-local students (both international and from Mainland China) to obtain a student visa in order to study in Hong Kong. Non-local students are defined as students holding student visa / entry permit, visa under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates, or dependent visa who are aged 18 years old or above before 1 September of the year of which they are admitted to relevant post-secondary programmes in Hong Kong issued by the Director of Immigration. Part-time non-local students should possess appropriate and valid visa to prove their eligibility to stay and study in Hong Kong.
For more information, please visit https://gs.hkbu.edu.hk/prospective-students/information-for-non-local-applicants.
About the School
The Faculty of Social Sciences, Hong Kong Baptist University comprises seven departments: Education Studies, Geography, Government & International Studies, History, Sport, Physical Education & ... Read More