About Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart University (SHU) celebrates learning, discovery and the lifelong search for true meaning. The esteemed faculty works closely with students to help students achieve both personal and professional success while striving to maintain a diverse community in an effort to support students’ educational and spiritual journeys.
Founded in 1963 in Fairfield, Connecticut, Sacred Heart University was built on the tradition of Judeo-Christian ethical values and continues to provide an affordable, quality education to the local and international community. It is currently the second-largest Catholic university in New England and is approved and accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, the Connecticut Board of Higher Education, and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Online Degree Programs
At Sacred Heart, students are fully supported on their journey to gain greater skills and knowledge to become a change agent for good. SHU offers graduate degree and certificate programs in a convenient and flexible online format. With these online programs, students can schedule and complete courses around their work and personal commitments. Classes are taught by the same renowned faculty as on-campus courses and are available online, 24/7. Once enrolled, students will also be assigned a Student Services Coordinator who will help them throughout the online program journey – from enrollment each term, through graduation.
Accredited online degrees offered at Sacred Heart University include:
- RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN): Earn the undergraduate degree that is increasingly a necessity for a successful nursing career.
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN-MSN): Combine your BSN and MSN degree studies in one program to save time and money and reach advanced career goals faster.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN): Move up to a leadership role with a sought-after credential. Offering three specializations in Clinical Nurse Leadership, Nursing Management & Executive Leadership, and Nursing Education.
- Master of Science in Applied Psychology (MSAP): Learn how to use psychological principles to create a better workplace and a healthier community. Offering three concentrations including Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Community Psychology, and General Applied Psychology Track.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP): Coming soon! Now enrolling for a Fall 2016 start.
Accreditation and Recognition
Sacred Heart consistently meets and exceeds the needs of the student community and renowned faculty. More than 80 percent of the distinguished full-time faculty holds the highest degrees in their fields. The media and the world have recognized Sacred Heart's commitment to excellence in higher education. Notable rankings include:
- Sacred Heart has been selected for membership in the Colleges of Distinction, among approximately 200 colleges and universities in the country recognized for outstanding student engagement, great teaching, vibrant communities, and successful student outcomes
- U.S. News & World Report ranked Sacred Heart one of the top universities in the North, as well as among the institutions with the Best Online Programs (2015)
- The Princeton Review includes Sacred Heart in the latest edition of The Best 380 Colleges in 2015
- SHU’s MSAP program is ranked among the 50 Best Online Master’s in Psychology (2016) by SuperScholar
- SHU’s MSN program is ranked among the Top 50 Best Value Online MSN Programs of 2015 by Value Colleges
- Sacred Heart University is ranked among the Best Online Colleges in Connecticut for 2015-2016 by Affordable Colleges Online
- SHU is ranked among the Top 10 Best Colleges for Veterans (North region) by U.S. News & World Report (2014)
- SHU is ranked one of the top colleges in New England, according to GoLocal's “Super Ranking: Top New England Colleges 2014”
- All of SHU's nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
Tuition and Financial Aid
Sacred Heart is committed to offering an affordable, accessible education to students. Tuition rates are based on each credit hour, but the total cost of each program may vary by student depending on transfer credits. Tuition rates do not include fees such as registration, library, technology or placement fees.
At Sacred Heart University, we understand that a graduate education is a significant investment. We are committed to helping students explore all of the available aid options open to them including federal financial aid, student assistance programs and financing options.
- Sacred Heart is the second-largest Catholic university in New England.
- Sacred Heart been named a Top University in the North and Top 10 College for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report.
- The nursing programs at Sacred Heart University are CCNE accredited.
The nursing program was built upon a solid, traditional education already in place long before the online version was developed. This fact assured me of the value of earning my advanced nursing degree. - Jennifer S., MSN Student
I now am working in the type of position I wanted as an end goal and have opportunities to work in my chosen field. - Loni D., MSAP Student
The flexibility of this program's online format afforded me the opportunity to work full-time and still be an active presence in my home. - Daniel, H., RN-BSN Student
I had a wonderful experience in the MSN CNL program. While taking the CNL certification exam, I realized how much I believed in this role, and the impact it can have on patients and staff. - Amy B., RN-BSN-MSN Student
The professors were extremely helpful and worked with you; they were accessible and did everything they could to ensure you had a great learning experience. - Beverly C., RN-BSN Student
This school offers programs in: