Columbia Business School

Introduction

Columbia Business School was established in 1916 to provide business training and professional preparation for undergraduate and graduate Columbia University students. A. Barton Hepburn, then president of Chase Manhattan Bank, founded the Columbia University Graduate School of Business with 11 full-time faculty members and an opening class of 61 students, including 8 women. The School expanded rapidly, enrolling 420 students by 1920 and, in 1924, added a PhD program to the existing BS and MS degree programs.

In 1945, Columbia Business School authorized the awarding of the Master of Business Administration degree (MBA). Shortly thereafter, the School adopted the Hermes emblem as its symbol, reflecting the entrepreneurial nature of the Greek god Hermes and his association with business, commerce and communication.

In 1952, the School admitted its last class of undergraduates.

Columbia Business School has charted a course of ongoing growth and development.. The School is accredited by the International Association for Management Education (also known as AACSB) and is widely acknowledged as being among the top U.S. business schools with an international focus.

In addition to its renowned MBA program, Columbia offers successful business managers and company executives the opportunity to enhance their careers and expand their knowledge through its portfolio of Executive MBA(EMBA) and non-degree Executive Education programs.

On July 1, 2004, R. Glenn Hubbard became Columbia Business School's eleventh dean. Hubbard, the former chair of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisers, has worked at the intersection of the private, government and nonprofit sectors and has been actively engaged in national and international economic policy issues. As dean of Columbia Business School, Hubbard will lead the School to continued excellence in all disciplines as he broadens the global reach of the institution.

Columbia University was founded in 1754 by a charter from King George II. Originally known as King's College, Columbia University now comprises 69 academic departments and divisions, with approximately 7,100 full- and part-time faculty members and 23,000 students. The University is proud to count 64 Nobel laureates among its faculty, former faculty members and alumni.

This school offers programs in:
  • English

Programmes