University for foreigners "Dante Alighieri"
University for foreigners "Dante Alighieri", with its headquarters in Reggio Calabria, sponsored by the local committee of the "Dante Alighieri" and the Consortium for the Universita' per Stranieri "Dante Alighieri" of Reggio Calabria, was established, under the legal rules, as a non-statal legal university, an institution of higher education with a special order, starting from the academic year 2007-2008.
The University is autonomous in accordance with Article 33 of the Constitution, it has juridical personality, legal autonomy, and performs its educational, scientific, organizational, administrative and disciplinary self-government in conformity with the Statute and respecting the laws and regulations regarding university organization.
The university has the means to divulgate through teaching and research activities Italian language, literature, art and culture and also Italian political, social, juridical and economic institutions through all their forms of expression.
In particular, the University, primarily cooperating with the Italian and foreign committees of the Society "Dante Alighieri", aims to:
- promote and facilitate trade and cross-cultural comparisons with civilization in the world and originating from the Mediterranean area, paying particular attention to the problems raised by the settlements on the territory of Italian immigrants ESPECIALLY from the Balkans, the Orient and Africa ;
- keep alive, with specific initiatives, the traditions of language and the historical memory of the country of origin in the communities and the various generations of Italian emigrants abroad;
- protect and enhance the socio-cultural instances of linguistic minorities: Albanians and Hellenistic Occitans settled in Calabria, including their rediscovery and dissemination among natives, transferred elsewhere, to which they belong;
- encourage, by appropriate national and international collaboration, the establishment of training and scientific centers, in the context of an increasingly closer integration in Europe with the countries of the southern and eastern shores of the Mediterranean.
The University is supported by the Region of Calabria with its own law (Regional Law n. 1 32 December 1988, as amended) of the Organising Committee, the Province, the Commune and the Chamber of Commerce of Reggio Calabria, which provide the capital and ensure the normal functioning of the University .
Other organizations or companies and private citizens interested in fulfilling its purposes, alongside the subjects as to in comma 1, as well as the contributions provided by Article 3 of the Law n. 243 of 1991 and, where there are the necessary conditions, the resources provided for the development plans of the national university system or issued by national, EU and international funding to be used for the University’s programs and projects, can contribute to the maintenance and development of the University.
The bodies of the University:
- the Rector
- The Board of Directors
- Executive Committee
- The Faculty board and the Teachers
- The Student Senate
- The Board of Auditors
- The Evaluation Team
- The Board of Trustees
The University for Foreigners also offeres courses in Italian language and culture which issue certification of the level knowledge of the Italian language:
- elementary (A1 - A2)
- intermediate (B1 - B2)
- advanced (C1 - C2)
The university is the authorized center for the certification of the exam of Competence of the Italian Language (PLIDA). The PLIDA certificate is an official diploma issued by the Company "Dante Alighieri" according to an agreement with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It is possible to obtain the CEDILS Certification (Certification in teaching Italian to foreigners) at the University for Foreigners that attests the theoretical and practical skills in the field of teaching Italian to foreigners, in collaboration with the Laboratory Itals University Ca 'Foscari of Venice.
This school offers programs in: